Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFI pin unable to read TTL signal from GPS unit

Hey Everyone, 

I have a GPS unit that sends a PPS (Pulse Per Second) to NI 6229. The PPS signal is a TTL signal of 3.3V. The PPS signal is sent to NI 6229 at 1Hz. The issue is that the NI cannot seem to read the PPS signal. I have looked at the oscilloscope, and I can see the signal. I don't know what's going on. Please help!!  Just an assumption, could the reason why NI card cannot read the signal is due to the speed of the TTL signal. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,482 Views)

How are you trying to read it?  What is the pulsewidth of the signal?

Open up MAX, open a test panel for your device, choose counter i/o edge counting mode.  If the pulsewidth is very small, this will be much more effective than polling the signal via standard digital input.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,418 Views)

Thank you. I just realized that it was a timing issue. The GPS unit was sending PPS signal in microsecond while i was reading in millisecond. I had to convert the PPS Signal to millisecond. 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,393 Views)