From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFI pin unable to read TTL signal from GPS unit

Hey Everyone, 

I have a GPS unit that sends a PPS (Pulse Per Second) to NI 6229. The PPS signal is a TTL signal of 3.3V. The PPS signal is sent to NI 6229 at 1Hz. The issue is that the NI cannot seem to read the PPS signal. I have looked at the oscilloscope, and I can see the signal. I don't know what's going on. Please help!!  Just an assumption, could the reason why NI card cannot read the signal is due to the speed of the TTL signal. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,494 Views)

How are you trying to read it?  What is the pulsewidth of the signal?

Open up MAX, open a test panel for your device, choose counter i/o edge counting mode.  If the pulsewidth is very small, this will be much more effective than polling the signal via standard digital input.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,430 Views)

Thank you. I just realized that it was a timing issue. The GPS unit was sending PPS signal in microsecond while i was reading in millisecond. I had to convert the PPS Signal to millisecond. 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,405 Views)