cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFI and NI-MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I am using a PCI-6040 with Ni-Max 19.5 (labview 14)

On the test panel tab I can find ways to test the analog channels (input and output), the digital port, and CRTL0 and CRTL1 but how do I test the PFI channels?  In particular PFI/A1 ref trig.

I'd like to be able to generate a pulse on CRTL0 (which I can do) and receive that on PFI/A1 ref trig to make sure it works. (wanted to start with NI-Max because I thought it be quicker to use to test...)

In the end I want to receive an analog signal on AI3 with a pulse on CRTL0 and received on PFI/A1 to sync the A/D conversion (on AI3) using labview.  How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author catinthehat

MAX is a great starting point for checking standard functionality and connections.  As you get into external signal triggering and suchlike, it's time to move into the shipping examples.  (menu Help->Find Examples...).  Browse for Hardware and then DAQmx.  You'll find simple examples that let you route a counter output to a particular PFI pin and let you run an analog task that triggers off a signal at a particular PFI pin.

Try some things out, look over the code and try to understand it. This should give you a decent start, then come on back with followup questions.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,076 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author catinthehat

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping for a quick and dirty method to check the PFI pin triggered off of the CTR0 line (routed from the CTR0 line in the SCB-60 board back to the PFI input).  I try looking through the examples and seeing if it makes any sense.  I'm just starting labview programming so where to start is a bit daunting.

When you run a self check on a DAQ board, does it check the PFI inputs\outputs as well or just the straight analog and digital lines?

In other programming languages (written) it is expected that the code is well commented and properly laid out.  What are the normal programming expectations for a labview program? What are 'best practices' when it comes to a graphical programming language?

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,046 Views)

Hi Kevin

Thank you for your reply earlier.  I have been working on trying to learn labview and now have a bit of a better idea for PFIs. Thank you for your help.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,984 Views)