From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-MIO-16XE-10 suddenly gives Code 10 in only one machine

I've run a variety of SCXI LV systems over the last decade or so, starting with LV4 and AT cards. The current incarnation of my DAQ setup sees a PCI-MIO-16XE-10 in a Windows XP Pro machine cabled via a 1349 to a 1000 chassis housing three 1102s and a 1163r.

The system was working great last Friday, now it is not. Hiccups happen, so I reboot. No love. I open M&AE and card is there but chassis won't verify. I delete chassis and can't reinstall it. Won't autodetect. I self-test card, fail. I Windows check the card, seems alright. I update to latest NI-DAQmx, no love. I uninstall all NI-DAQ, pull card, install latest NI-DAQ, boot, shut down, install card, no love. I uninstall ALL LV, NI-DAQ, NI-SERIAL, et al, pull card, reboot, install NI-DAQ, shut down, install card, reboot - no love.

I shut down, pull card, install in another lab machine and it tests fine. I install back in the control machine, it repeatedly gives "This device cannot start (Code 10) during the Windows installation process.

I'm pulling my hair out here. The machine otherwise is lovely. I've tried, in addition to the above, System Restores, swapping PCI slots, BIOS update, BIOS IRQ prioritizing, and am running out of ideas. If I spend another day troubleshooting this, I may have just as well bought a new computer!

I'd really appreciate any wisdom and guidance any of you might have.

Thanks in advance,

-dmk

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,711 Views)

A couple of details, have tried up to and including M&AE4.5 provided with NI-DAQmx 8.8, and will be using LV 8.5, in case that matters.

M&AE shows CVI 8.5, MS VS2005, NIPAL 2.3, NIVISA 4.4, NIVISArt 4.4.

thx again,

-dmk

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,708 Views)

I am experiencing a very similar problem. I can install either of two PCI-MIO-16XE-10 boards in either of two computers and have the same results: the boards appear and are OK in Windows Device Manager, but Max does not list them.

I believe I have a very good clue for the cause of the problem. Both computers are on the internet and both computers are set for automatic update of XP. As near as I can tell, the board worked at around 1:00 PM on 8 December and didn't work some time later the same day. The Windows update log shows that a bunch of updates were installed at about 2:00 PM. on 8 December.

I strongly suspect that one of the the updates is the culprit. However, I haven't got a clue what to do next.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a driver guru at NI that would be willing to help out?? Has anyone had any experience in rolling-back Windows updates???

FWIW, I am enclosing the relevant section of the update log.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,702 Views)

I'm not sure if it's a Windows Update thing. I'm pretty sure the computer that the card is still working well in is on the same update schedule as the one it came out of.

I'm installing a fresh XP on a spare drive and will test a little more thoroughly...

ah, computers,

-dmk

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,698 Views)

Hi dmk and Bill,

The issues that each of you are experiencing sound similar, but are probably not related.

dmk--Error 10 is a Windows Device Manager error that occurs when a device is not working properly or is missing from the system (i.e. the BIOS cannot properly detect the device).  One thing you could try would be to run the Core Driver Update--a link can be found in this Knowledgebase: Why do my National Instruments PCI Devices Receive Error Code 10 in the Windows Device Manager?  Since the board was working earlier in this machine and it functions properly in other computers, the issue may be a hardware failure with the PCI slots on your motherboard.  Do you have any other PCI devices that you can try out to see if this is the case?

Bill--What version of Traditional DAQ or DAQmx do you have installed?  Assuming you have the proper drivers installed, make sure that the NI Device Loader service is running.  More information can be found in the following KnowledgeBase: NI Device Loader (nidevldu) and NI Configuration Manager Services Not Starting. The problem could also be caused by a MAX Database Corruption--information about how to resolve the issue can be found in this KnowledgeBase: My Devices Are Not Listed in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), but They Show Up in Windows De....  If these do not resolve the issue, do you receive an error message when opening Measurement and Automation Explorer?  Any additional information regarding the driver versions (including MAX and NI-PAL) would be helpful if you are still having problems.

Please let me know if there are still any issues after going through the troubleshooting steps--I hope the links I provided prove to be helpful.  Thanks for posting, and Happy Holidays!

-John 

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,666 Views)

John,

Thank you for your detailed suggestions.

Both the Device Loader and Configuration Manager services were set to start Automatically, but were not running. I tried starting the Device Loader and it seemed to start. However, it the Configuration Manager did not start. So I started the Configuration Manager manually. I also set the recover options as suggested.

I opened Max and although IMAQ still appeared, DAQ was still missing.

I tried rebooting. The Device Loader and Configuration Manager were not running.

A couple of observations which may be interesting or unimportant:

1. When I look at the dependencies for Device Loader and Configuration Manager, I receive the message "Interface: class not registered".

2. When I click on the Software entry in the Max tree, the + disappears and no software are listed. I also get no software listings when I ask for system information in Max.

3. The only software appearing in the Add, Remove Programs are National Instruments Software - .93 mb and

LabView 6.1 runtime.

However, LabView 7 and DAQ 7.0.1 (among others) are present in the National Instruments folder. 

Other information:

This is an image and data acquisition system that is being used in important medical research. It successfully acquired data and images at around 1 PM on December 8 and failed to work sometime later. As I said before,

a bunch of Windows updates were installed at 2 PM. I strongly suspect these updates since the system has been humming along for months.

I have uninstalled of the Winodws patches, but the problem persists.

Although I am quite expert in computer hardware and software (http://www.sandersdata.com), I am only slightly knowledgeable in LabView, IMAQ, DAQ, etc. The system was actually designed and built by a company that went out of business before completing the system. I volunteered to get the system running (and in the process, learned some LabView) and, unfortunately, I am the only technical resource for the researchers.

Unfortunately, the office at Stanford Medical Center that contains all of the NI installation discs will be locked and inaccessible to me until after the New Year.

I have yet not tried to repair the Max database. I thought I would wait until I received some more musings from you.

Also, I leave town tomorrow morning and won't return until 4 January.

Thanks in advance for any more insights and assistance that you can provide.

Bill 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,661 Views)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback.  To address your observations:

1-2:    Both are symptoms of a MAX Database Corruption.  I suggest that you follow the steps from this KnowledgeBase: How Do I Recover From MAX Database Corruption?

3:       The entry in Add/Remove Programs entitled National Instruments Software should have a button labeled Change/Remove.  You can select this to see a list of all of the NI Software you have installed.

Hopefully fixing the MAX database corruption will be sufficient and you will not need to re-install any software.  If you do need to re-install software and don't have access to the disks, many of our drivers can be found on our Drivers and Updates page.  Let me know if you are still having problems after following the steps from my first link.  Have a great weekend!

-John 

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,657 Views)

An update - a quick fresh XP install on a spare drive followed by the latest NiDAQ showed the hardware to be fine. It's something in the XP install, I suppose. Still, why would it work Friday and not Monday. Hrm. Must have been an automatic update or some such thing. I'll try the linked core update when I get back in the lab Sunday or Monday and update this thread with the results.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,642 Views)

Another update - I tried the file you sent me, to no avail. This can't be a hardware problem, as the identical hardware (with a fresh XP / Ni-DAQ install) works flawlessly. Regardless, I've tried swapping around into known-good PCI slots - also to no avail.

I always get this Code 10 message when reinstalling the card. This is looking more and more like a machine reinstall, which is sad.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,592 Views)

Hi dmk,

I have thought of one other thing to try.  If you Uninstall the device from the Device Manager, then reboot, the Add New Hardware Wizard should come up and you can go through the steps to install the drivers for your device automatically.  This might fix the issue, but if not, the problem could very well be with the Windows installation.  Have you confirmed whether or not other PCI devices work while running from the original drive?

-John 

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,585 Views)