Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6601 adding timer

Hi,

PCI 6601 adding timer

I am using PCI 6601 and am relatively new to labview so can anyone guide me through controlling it through labview.

I installed daqmx and setup a virtual device. Then I used read dig port given in the examples.. the values were hexadecimal and kept on increasing can’t they be restarted. I simulated for three ports but in the labview file only one was visible to monitor.

I want it to wait for an counter to stop after a given time and only then returns the final value of the counter.

Thanks,

Yatin.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,651 Views)
the main thing that i want to achieve is taking the readings in the duration of microseconds not milliseconds for spectroscopy. So can it be done at the software level...?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,640 Views)

Hi yatintyagi,

I understand that you are using the PCI-6601 and want to measure the readings in microseconds instead of milliseconds. This knowledge base might be helpful in order to do that, it explains how to implement a real time clock with your card. Also, in your current application you want to reset the counter values at some point. You can do so with an external digital pulse, but it is not possible to reset it internally. For more information on this refer to the following articles:

-          Can I Reset a TIO Counter Internally Through Hardware?

-          Can I Hardware Reset My TIO/STC II Counter with an External Digital Pulse?

I hope this is helpful; if not or if I misunderstood your questions, please post back.

Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,624 Views)
Hi Ana P,

Yeah that was want i wanted more or less... I'll get started on it immediately...Thanks..
I'll get back to you if I have more queries Smiley Very Happy

Thanks again,
Yatin
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,615 Views)
hi,

i was trying to use daqmx to simulate pci 6601. Is it possible to generate a virtual counter by adding to Count Edges (NI-TIO).vi and thn get back the time count.

Also, if i have to install the actual device for configuration in labview can it be done without the installation cd.

Thanks,
Yatin
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,597 Views)
Hi,

the count digital events file says the following:

Note:  Use the Gen Dig Pulse Train-Continuous example to verify that you are counting correctly on the DAQ device.

as i am new to daq can someone guide me around joining the two VIs. What i can't understand is how to use daqmx start task vi twice in one file.

Thanks,
Yatin
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,589 Views)
hi,

i was trying to use daqmx to simulate pci 6601. Is it possible to generate a virtual counter by adding to Count Edges (NI-TIO).vi and thn get back the time count.
Also, if i have to install the actual device for configuration in labview can it be done without the installation cd.

the count digital events file says the following:
Note:  Use the Gen Dig Pulse Train-Continuous example to verify that you are counting correctly on the DAQ device.
as i am new to daq can someone guide me around joining the two VIs. What i can't understand is how to use daqmx start task vi twice in one file.

Thanks,
Yatin
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,569 Views)
Hi,

i think i am a little confused here.

on the link here it says to use Count Edges (NI-TIO).vi . Basically i cant find this file 🙂 so i tried using count dig events.vi Is it the same thing? and also if it is thn how do i retrieve the value of the counter. Want i want to do is to stop it after a certain time (user input a res of 50 ns is fine)and proceed with my code. So, "HeLp" . Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Yatin
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,563 Views)

Hi yatintyagi,

Yes, you can simulate a counter card in Measurement & Automation Explorer and then run your application using the simulated device. However you must take into account that when using a simulated device it has the limitation that the counter data returned is 0 and that timing is not simulated for counter tasks. You can also install the device without the installation cd. However, you need the card’s drivers in order to be able to use it. The card’s driver is NI-DAQmx, and you can find it here. You can use the Count Dig Events VI, in that example the value of the counter is showing up in the indicator called Data. I hope this is helpful,
Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,527 Views)
Hi Ana P,

Thanks for all the info. Just one thing is the counter counting the data it is recieving or is it operating at the sample clock rate if configured to do so..wht i did ws to connect ctr0 to operate at clock frequency of 20 Mhz. So, now the read function reads the count back from it?

I;ll get started on the real instrument in 2 days.. it was in use in the spectroscopy setup.. If i hv further doubts i'll get back..

thanks again..

Yatin
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,523 Views)