From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI -6289 Dedicated Triggering

Hi Guys

It is been a while since have browsed the forum .  I am facing a problem with respect to Dedicated Reference Trigger with the PCI -6289 Card .  The application that am working on is testing of an adc along with a negative prescaler . I am  using the PCI -6289 Card to generate a pure step ramp waveform and collect the adc output at each step of the step waveform.

I have tried two approaches to generate the pure step waveform using the simulate signal and daq assistant and with the basic AO generate waveform . The problem is that I need my ramp waveform to start at a certain trigger point when data from the adc becomes available.

The Daq assistant in the timing windows does not give me an option for an reference trigger and the VI attached below using the AO generate waveform does not work properly.

The analog waveform's generation starts earlier and there is always an delay between the ramp being fed and the data being collected.

The delay is about a second to 3 seconds but this still means a loss of about 10-20 codes and error in the testing of the adc.

The local sales engineer informed me that the PCI-6289 does not have an dedicated reference trigger onboard clock for the digital part of the board and said the best option for me was to buy a separate digital acquistion card.

Is there any other way both the generation and data collection can be synchronized . Any Help would be appreciated. Please find the VI attached along with the analog subvi.

Warm Regards
ChipLearner
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,599 Views)

Just to add a note , I did go through this article on M series Synchronization and TIming

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3615

Both the Analog Output and the Digital Input share the same reference clock so techincally they must be synchronized but that is not what that happens.

Regards

ChipLearner

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,593 Views)