Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6255 and PCI 6071 E have no device identifier

Hi,

I have recently taken over a couple of projects from an engineer who is no longer working at our lab, and my first task has been to "update" some old DAQ computer systems.  We have a couple of new computers, onto which I have installed Windows 7 and LabVIEW 8.5 with DAQmx 8.6 and 9.0.2

Each computer has one PCI card, either the PCI 6071E or the PCI 6255 but in the MAX interface they are showing up under the PXI system bus and have no device identifier.  I recently downloaded a VI that is supposed to work with this hardware, but in the DAQmx VI's they have put the "Dev1/ai0:7" that I have come to know and love working with USB DAQ cards.  There is no such thing for these two PCI cards, though I believe there should be.  I don't know how to acquire analog input data with this as it is, and so I'm in a tight spot!

I don't know where to start!  Please help.

Thanks 

PS.  The exact name of the device in the "Devices and Interfaces" location of MAX is PXI6::13::INSTR (PCI-6255)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,497 Views)

MarkRobinson,

The example is correct in that you should use the resource name like the one you gave.  Under devices and interfaces you don't see the card listed with a Dev1 type tag?  Do you have a section for DAQmx devices and if so is it under there?  If neither of these work can you go into device manager and see if the devices are recognized properly (no yellow exclamation point), if they do have a exclamation point right click and Update Drivers.

The PXI6::13::INSTR is a VISA Resource Name.  You shouldn't need to use this.

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,473 Views)

Hi Jason_D,

You're correct, it was the "Dev1" type of identifier that was missing.  Only the VISA resource name was showing up.

My use of the past tense should imply that the problem is solved.  I installed the DAQmx 9.0.2 (reinstalled in one instance) and then restarted the PCs a few times in a row and they miraculously appeared correctly.

I must have just been slightly impatient with the previous installation.  The one computer where I had installed 9.0.2 first had LabVIEW 8.5 installed too, but every time you opened the LabVIEW executable file it would get to "converting toolkits" and then crash.  So I reinstalled LabVIEW and that problem went away as well.  Weird, eh?  I love the ability to uninstall programmes and reinstall them and have things work differently.

Thanks for your reply.

-Mark 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,462 Views)