Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6251 vs PCIE-6251

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I have a PCI-6251 card but pretty much no new computer can take a PCI card these days. Is the PCIE-6251 a complete one to one replacement or is there an alternative? Are the drivers for the PCIE-6251 easily obtainable from say LabView 2013? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,122 Views)

What do you need to do with the device?  The DAQmx driver will cover any of NI's relatively modern boards, including the PCI-6251, the PCIe-6251, and many many more.

I think most users would benefit from a newer X-series (PCIe-63xx) device.  You might start by considering the 6351 or 6361 as shown in Table 1 on this page.  Other options might be worth considering if you'd like to enhance capabilities in a particular area.

Odds are high that any code you have that runs on the 6251 will also run on any X-series board (as long as the new board has at least the same # I/O channels as the old).  I know of one obscure possible exception related to buffered period measurement, but I seem to be one of the few who were adversely (and knowingly) affected.  Otherwise, I consider the X-series to be nice improvement over the M-series MIO boards.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,100 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AChew1234

It should be a direct replacement.  If you are using LabVIEW 2013, I would probably use DAQmx 16.0.1.  That is the newest version of the DAQmx drivers that are compatible with LabVIEW 2013.  According to the readme, it will work with all forms of the 6251 (PCI, PCIe, PXI, PXIe, USB).

DAQmx Download

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 4
(2,099 Views)

The board was previously connected to another DAQ module (I forgot which model) that had a collection of BNC input and outputs and was used mostly to provide analog feedback to a mechanical delay stage. My only concern is how this will play out with existing code and what not.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,066 Views)