Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6230

I am relatively new to DAQ. At my (new) job, we have been using the PCI-6230.

The board mounts in an industrial PC, an Advantech type that accommodates pluggable cards.

The problem is that the PCI-6230 is being phased out, and the only recommendation is to use a C series module instead.

Using the C series is problematic because it will require the addition of a Compact RIO rack.

This would require a lot of re-design to existing assemblies.

Does anyone know of a card that can be used in place of the PCI-6230?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,863 Views)

Worth looking at this article - https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/17/obsolescence-planning-for-several-leg...

It depends on what kind of features you are using 6230 for, are you inclined to PCI or PCIe based hardware?

Some similar hardware may be available but they may or may not be pin compatible - this means you would have to redesign the HW that connects to the connector.

If you have specific requirements in terms of the number of AI, AO, counters etc., we (forum members) could guide you better.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,853 Views)

Santhosh,

Thanks for your reply.

We only use 2 analog inputs.

After posting this, I called NI directly and found a replacement for the NI 6230, it is a NI 6232.

I am reviewing it's specs to ensure compatibility with the PC's card interface.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,828 Views)

2 analog inputs is a very simple requirement that almost all DAQmx hardware satisfy but at what resolution and sampling rate matters.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,820 Views)

Dunno if you're limited to PCI cards, but if not, you might want to consider a PCIe-63xx X-series MIO board instead of a PCI-62xx M-series board.  There are many enhanced capabilities and few downsides, along with the likelihood of longer-term support and avoidance of obsolescence.

If your industrial PC has PCIe slots, give NI another call and let them know.  You'll probably get a different recommendation from the X-series line.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,742 Views)

Kevin,

I will look into the PCIe-63xx X-series board. We are looking for something with similar fit, form and function.

The plan is to adopt a newer board with as little impact on other components as possible.

One thing that would help me sell any ideas to my boss is if I could determine the life cycle status before digging too deep.

Can you tell me where that info is found?

I spent a day and a half comparing NI 6230 with NI 6232 (I got that number from NI when I asked about a replacement) before I saw that it too has a 'mature' life cycle status.

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,714 Views)

I don't know of a way to predict when an "Active" product might transition to become "Mature".   I just know that the 63xx X-series line of MIO boards are newer designs than the 62xx M-series line by about 7-8 years, so I'd expect them to remain available for a while after the M-series is phased out.

I *did* note that the product page for the 6230 mentions "Bank Isolation".  If that's important in your application, I'm not sure offhand which (if any) X-series device would be the most appropriate substitute.  Better make another call to NI and while you're at it, you can inquire about the X-series' life cycle status.  I'm not sure you'll get a definite answer but it's worth a try.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,710 Views)