Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6229 M-Series (count 3 encoders)

Hello,

I only have one DAQ board (PCI-6229 M-Series) and as I know, the board have two counters:
Ctr0 which uses PFI8 and PFI10 - now using that to count outputs from my first encoder
Ctr1 which uses PFI3 and PFI11 - for my second encoder

But I have 3 encoders, can I use other PFI pins on the DAQ board to count the outputs coming from my third encoder? Is it possible with just one DAQ board? Did I miss any example code which tell me how to do this?

Thanks alot.
Kenneth
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,852 Views)
With only two counters, you would only be able to measure 2 unique encoders. It might be possible to write an application which would thru software timing perform similar operations using analog input, but I don't believe the results would be nearly as great as they would be using native counters.

What is your application, and have you thought of any way you could implement it using 2 encoders?

Good luck,
Jason
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,830 Views)
oh...i guess that's bad news for me. Since I'm very new to LabView, i'm not too sure how I can do it through software. Any chance maybe you can show me some sample code? It would be veryvery helpful to me.

I don't think I can do the job with just two econders. Because what I have is a camera rig with 3 motors to move the camera in X,Y,Z axis. Each motor have its own encoder and each have two outputs (pulse trains). So what I'm trying to do in LabView with the DAQ board I have is to count up/down for each axis in order for me to locate where my camera is.

Thanks alot for your help. Please keep me posted with any suggestions of how I may solve the problem.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,827 Views)
Hi

Try the link below
for using a counter as the DIO clock for M Series boards.

Requirements= LabVIEW 7.1
NI DAQ MX 7.3

I hope this example helps!

Kind Regards,
Kurt
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,695 Views)