From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6221 differrent pulses on on ctr0 and ctr1

Hi,

i´m using a PCI 6221. Is it possible to generate to different and independent pulses on ctr0 and ctr1. I am using ctr1 to trigger a camera and i need a second independent pulse to control a steppermotor-card. Is there any possibility to do that?

thanks

nerdi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,110 Views)

Hey,

If you want to generate a continous pulse train the answer is yes.

But when generating a finite pulse train, both counters will be needed for for this.

Christian

Message 2 of 4
(3,093 Views)

Christian is absolutely correct.  I just wanted to make it clear that you may generate single pulses on each counter independently.  The only limitation is with generating a finite (greater than 1) train of pulses.  Older hardware requires the use of both counters to generate the finite pulse train.  X Series boards and cDAQ chassis (other than the 9172) do not have this restriction.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,081 Views)

There's one other sneaky thing you might be able to do if this app isn't using AI and/or AO.  You can configure finite sampling tasks for the AI or AO subsystem and then export its sample clock signal to a PFI pin.

You might be able to operate your stepper for a finite number of steps at a constant pulse rate this way.  You probably will want to use a real counter to get the timing right for your trigger signal.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,047 Views)