Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6215 DAQmx pulse

Please excuse me if this is the wrong forum.  An engineer purchased a 6214 PCI card, and it needs to output a pulse (pull the line high for a sepcified number of milliseconds) to control a valve. I am a software person left to sort this out.  I am using the .NET DAQmx API, and I really don't want to have to rely on the OS to do my timing.  Does the apparent lack of a counter on this board leave this as the only option?  I can't even configure a task for this in MAX.

Many thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,149 Views)
Make that a PCI 6512...dyslexia is a horrible thing
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,148 Views)

Hi Stephen

The Card that you have is specified on the web page as software timed. It does not have a clock on it. If you have an external clock source then you should be able to refference this. What hardware options do you have available either by currently owned hardware or opgrade flexability?

Look at the specs on this page for the software timing refference.  http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13645

best regards

Graham Green

Sr. Product Marketing Manager

National instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,141 Views)

Duplicate post (which I didn't notice before somebody already posted here).

Hi Stephen,

As you can see from the product page, this is a "low-cost" industrial digital output device. Under the Specifications tab (underneath the picture) you'll see that the "Timing" mode is only "Software". It may be listed as "static"in other places. If it were hardware-timed, you'd see the wording "correlated" or "hardware". So, unfortunately, your device can only output a signal based on a softwar trigger, like a button press on the front panel of a VI.

The good news is that we have many examples already written for you for different tasks. The following KnowledgeBase (KB) will point the way for .NET examples.

I hope that helps! 

Mark E.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,125 Views)

Hi Stephen,

As you can see from the product page, this is a "low-cost" industrial digital output device. Under the Specifications tab (underneath the picture) you'll see that the "Timing" mode is only "Software". It may be listed as "static"in other places. If it were hardware-timed, you'd see the wording "correlated" or "hardware". So, unfortunately, your device can only output a signal based on a softwar trigger, like a button press on the front panel of a VI.

The good news is that we have many examples already written for you for different tasks. The following KnowledgeBase (KB) will point the way for .NET examples.

I hope that helps! 

Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,124 Views)

Hi Stephen,

I hope that helps! 

Mark E.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,123 Views)