From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only one device showing on MAX for PCI-6259

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am having a problem seeing all the available channels in a PCI-6259 card. Within MAX, the card is listed correctly as NI PCI-6259, however in the device tree only one device is shown "Dev1" - where is "Dev0"?

Both devices used to be listed, but one has dropped out and I am not sure why.

I have tried re-connecting the cables from the board to the two BNC-2090A connector blocks, or tried re-installing the card from Windows Device Manager & from MAX, but only "Dev1" shows up after re-installing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Simone

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,658 Views)
Unless you have two different DAQ cards installed, you will only see Dev1. You are not supposed to see channels under the devices category. The number of terminal blocks is irrelevant.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,654 Views)

Did you figure this out? Dennis brings up some good points. MAX, if I recall correctly, only counts from 1, not from 0, so the first device it sees will be called Dev1 unless you rename the device to Dev0. If you reinstalled or reset the configuration the device will probably reset to Dev1. Do you have more than one device in your system?

-gaving

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,635 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your assistance and apologies for the late reply, I was out of town.

The device names themselves are not my main concern. The problem is that I had two devices listed under the PCI-6259. I am expecting two devices since the PCI-6259 has twice the number of channels available as compared to a more basic card (PCI-6251). The PCI-6259 has two cable connectors and in my case both are connected to two BNC connector boxes. I previously had both devices being listed under the card on MAX, but now one of the two devices has dropped out and I can no longer access all the channels I need. For example, now I only have two analog outputs rather than the four I had before.

At the moment I am not suspecting a problem with the cables, since once both cables are connected to the BNC connector boxes, the 5V power LED is lit in both boxes, however as I mentioned I can only access the channels of one box through MAX or through my VIs.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Simone

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,629 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SimoneP

Devices will show up as only one device in "Devices and Interfaces" no matter how many connectors they have. (it's one device to the NI driver just like it shows up as one device to Windows) The second connector just implies that, when you run a test panel or a program, you can now select more channels in the drop down for ai and ao. You should be able to address all AO channels from the same test panel.

-gaving

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,625 Views)

can you manually address Dev1/ao2 in an AO example VI?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,624 Views)

Ok, thanks for the assistance, all of you.

I must have gotten really confused and remebered there being two devices (perhaps by the fact that I also had a PCI-6251 installed on the system at a previous point).

You are correct, I have only a Dev1 listed for my PCI-6259, but when I browse for available terminals in LabView I can see all the analog outputs.

Problem solved!

Thanks again for the tips,

Simone

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,621 Views)