Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard memory underflow (Error -200016)

I'm trying to output an analog voltage signal with 1500 samples at 120Hz update rate on a PCI-6031E. Occasionally, I would get memory underflow error (-200016). It is running on a P4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM. I've tried switching from interrupt to DMA transfer. Will a faster computer help? Does anybody know of a solution? Please help. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,984 Views)

oscar667 wrote :
I'm trying to output an analog voltage signal with 1500 samples at 120Hz update rate on a PCI-6031E. Occasionally, I would get memory underflow error (-200016). It is running on a P4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM. I've tried switching from interrupt to DMA transfer. Will a faster computer help? Does anybody know of a solution? Please help. Thank you!

Probably it depends on limitation of PCI bus throughput. PCI bus speed is realated with Chip sets rather than CPU performance. If you change it, it will be a littele bit better. If you need perfect solution, you have to wait for a release of PCI Express DAQ.

d_touch
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,976 Views)
A PCI-6031E should have no problems generating a 1500-sample waveform at 120Hz. Are you continuously updating the buffer or regenerating the same waveform repeatedly? If you are regenerating the same waveform repeatedly, all 1500 samples will fit in the FIFO on the PCI-6031E which holds 2048 samples and you can configure your application such that the waveform is repeatedly generated directly from the FIFO.

I doubt a faster computer will help. I don't know what else your system is doing, but you are no where near to saturating the PCI bus with this application.

geoff
--
Geoff Schmit
Huskie Robotics, FIRST Team 3061 Lead Mentor
http://team3061.org/
@team3061
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,953 Views)

@gcs wrote:
A PCI-6031E should have no problems generating a 1500-sample waveform at 120Hz. Are you continuously updating the buffer or regenerating the same waveform repeatedly? If you are regenerating the same waveform repeatedly, all 1500 samples will fit in the FIFO on the PCI-6031E which holds 2048 samples and you can configure your application such that the waveform is repeatedly generated directly from the FIFO.

I doubt a faster computer will help. I don't know what else your system is doing, but you are no where near to saturating the PCI bus with this application.

geoff

Thanks, d_touch and Geoffrey.
No, I'm not continously updating the buffer or generating the same waveform. The waveform is loaded and written out only once. What I did to solve the problem is to override the default buffer allocation.
---
oscar667
PS: I believe the FIFO on the PCI-6031E is only 512 samples.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,946 Views)