Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard Device Memory Overflow 200361 on new laptop, works fine on old laptop

My new laptop is a Dell M4500 Quad core 1.73 GHz with 8 gig ram running windows 7.

My old laptop is a Dell M65 Dual Core 2.1 GHz with 2 gig ram running XP.

All daq drivers and CVI runtime are the latest 9.2.3 and the same on both laptops.

My program is sampling data 51200 hz, the Max rate of the USB 9178 rack with a 9234 analog input card.

I can run for days with no problems on the old laptop.  I can only run for minutes on the new laptop before getting the buffer overflow error.

I've tried reducing the sample size and sample rate and this did not fix the problem.  I even get the error running at 6400 hz, but it takes much longer to duplicate.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,237 Views)

Im having the same problem with a USB 9178 loaded with 9234 modules running at 51200Hz. Im also using a Dell M4500 with identicle specs. Although it happends on other laptops also. Any thoughts on this issue? Would I have better luck with the ethernet chassi?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,175 Views)

Hello, 

What is the error code that is being generated when you are connected to the Dell M4500?  You might try routing the USB-9178 through a USB hub or use different USB ports.

Thank you,

Justin P 

Justin
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer - Conditioned Measurements
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,152 Views)

I'm having a similar experience with a USB-6008.  I am using Matlab with the Data Acquisition Toolbox and am sampling 2 analog inputs at 500Hz.  I wrote the application on a laptop with XP SP3, Core2Dueo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM and it ran flawlessly and would run for hours with no issue (perhaps days but I didn't go there).  I moved the application over to a new laptop with Win7-64, Corei7 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM and it throws this error very quickly:

"

Status Code: -200361

Error event occurred at 07:08:15 for the object: nidaqmxDev1-AI.

NIDAQmx error : Onboard device memory overflow. Because of system and/or bus-bandwidth limitations, the driver could not read data from the device fast enough to keep up with the device throughput.

Reduce the sample rate, or reduce the number of programs your computer is executing concurrently.

Task Name: MWDAT0008

"

I have tried the other 3 USB ports with no luck.  There are no other programs running and nothing in the other USB ports.

On the XP machine I have Matlab 2007b with DAQ toolbox 2.11

On the Win7 machine I have Matlab 2010b-32bit with DAQ toolbox 2.17

The Win7 machine is brand new and I've installed very little other software so far (ie, it's not junked up yet), whereas the XP machine is thoroughly bogged down from 3 years of use.  Still, the XP machine is the one that works fine.

If I reduce the sample rate it still throws the error, it just takes a little longer...but I'm only at 500Hz x 2 channels.

On the Win7 machine I can also generate a 200361 error in MAX with a single channel at 500Hz but it takes a while.

Does anyone have a similar issue?  The XP->Win7 switch is my concern...are there known issues here?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,968 Views)

Hello Rick,

You could try to setup a task in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) and see if the device still behaves improperly when you dramatically slow down the sampling rate. If your device is behaving properly in MAX, then the issue is likely to either be with the Toolbox or your PC. For more information on using MAX please refer to the following website: Using Test Panels in Measurement & Automation Explorer for Devices Supported by NI-DAQmx. The MATLAB Data Acquisition Toolbox is actually developed and maintained by The MathWorks Inc. Here is a website you can go to. 

The USB-6008 is supported with the toolbox since version 2.8, and you can find the information here. The USB-6008 may not have any issues with LabVIEW or other National Instruments product. However, since I do not have MATLAB, I really can't say how it will work.

Regards,

Jeff L.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,945 Views)

My problem was related to a service running in the back ground called TDM Service.  Trusted Drive Manager (TDM) provides management functions for self-encrypting drives.  I went through all my services and deleted one at a time until my program would stop giving me the overflow error.  I asked NI for some theories as to why or how this service was causing this fault, but it seems they were not sure at the time. 

Message 6 of 11
(3,932 Views)

dynokeith2 -

Thanks for the great feedback.  I'll dig and see if I can find something there. 

To be totally honest I was very disappointed with the NI guy's feedback above - I did have the error in MAX but I don't think he read my post that far.  And of course I know that the Matlab DAQ toolbox is a Mathworks product and I've searched their forums too.  Oh well - free advice right...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,930 Views)

Is the problem with an error 200361 somebody solved?. On system WIN XP the card works well (USB-6212), but the on system WIN7 still appears this error.

Measurement & Automation Explorer - 5.1

NI-DAQmx - 9.5.1f1

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,832 Views)

I gave up and used a 6210 instead of a 6008.  This works, but is a crappy solution to the problem.  I just couldn't spend any more time trying to debug the 6008 issue.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,827 Views)

In my device card max frequency is 400kHz. I measure signal with 4kHz where I am using only 1 channel (100 times less).

I am using DAQmx library in my software but I also try to setup a task in Measurement and Automation Explorer and obtain this same error.

I thing problem is with drivers that do not work well with the system WIN7.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,813 Views)