From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise problem with mV analog signal

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I'm reading an analog signal with LabView, so I'm sorry for how little knowledge I have.
I am trying to read an analog voltage signal between 20mV and 200mV (proportional to a temperature 1mV=1 degree Celsius and given out by a thermometer) with a NI DAQ Device(NI USB 6009)(I have connected my signal to the Al0 +/- inputs). I use LabView to obtain the signal from the DAQ Device. My problem is, that my signal is very noisy. I get noise on the scale of 10 mV. If I average this noisy signal over 2s I get a smooth temperature curve without any noise. My question is whether there is anything I can do in order to reduce this noise in the first place?
I have googled this problem extensively but couldn't find a solution myself.
I would be really thankful for suggestions!
Julia

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,359 Views)

Make sure you are not using the maximum scale, which is the default.  The minimum range for the 6009 is -1V to +1V.  So set the range to that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,352 Views)

Thanks a lot! Now my noise has a range of 5 degree Celsius instead of 10. Does that mean that I just don't have the right DAQ device for measuring low voltage signals with higher accuracy?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,343 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author juliasmith

There are DAQ boards that will have a lower range.  I try to get a DAQ with a range that makes sense for your measurement.  If you are measuring a 75mV max signal, try to find a DAQ that has a range for 100mV.  But that is just a rule of thumb.

There are other possible tricks to lower your noise level, depending on how your hardware is set up.  But that would take a lot of information to diagnose.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,337 Views)

Thanks a lot for your help! I'll get a different DAQ device, that better suits my requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,334 Views)