Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni-DAQ for Mac OS X

I just ordered 2 PCI 6030E cards and upgraded 2 Full Development versions of LabView to 7.0 to run on my new Macs. Now I find out that there is no NI-DAQ driver for Mac OS X. What kind of support is this? LV was originally designed for Mac and now you don't fully support the Mac OS that has been around for 2 years!!! What's going on?
Message 1 of 15
(3,462 Views)
The current solution for DAQ on MAC OS X is the PXI platform and LabVIEW RT. Refer to http://www.ni.com/mac/ or contact your sales representative for further information. Have a great day!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,460 Views)
Sarah, it would have been helpful if my NI rep. had told me this when I asked him about my plan to put a 6030e card in a Mac G5 and compatability issues with OS 10.3.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,460 Views)
I coordinate an educational laboratory in electronics at California State University, Sacramento. We have a dozen MAC OS systems with 6024E DAQ boards in this laboratory. I have developed an extensive set of LabVIEW virtual instruments for use with our electronics curricula. They run beautifully under LabVIEW 6.1 and MAC OS 9.2. I cannot upgrade to LabVIEW 7 and MAC OSX because there are no drivers available for this OS from NI. With budgets as they are, we simply can't afford to add PXI hardware and LabVIEW RT. Please tell me there is a more direct solution forthcoming from NI.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,463 Views)
What she really means is, "You're screwed. Have a great day!"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,209 Views)
I have the same problem trying to use DAQ hardware with the OS X. Actually in the NI site there is a mention to a version of DAQmx Base for Mac Os X (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/C152D1B507EA342486256B7A006E9D7C?OpenDocument), but I couldn't find it. There is, in fact, a version for Linux but it's not working under mac (it is written for i386...). I just had a reply suggesting to keep checking for the release of the driver... It seems to me that it would not an extreme effert to port the Linux drivers to the Mac platform, given the fact that it is Unix based. Moreover considering that DAQ systems are a big part of NI applications it would sound silly saying that Mac Os X is "supported" without providing any driver for DAQ! And requir
ing a replacement of the cards with a PXI wouldn't seem to be reasonable. I really hope that a great number of requests for the DAQ support reaches NI and that finally they decide to support a very good platform as the Mac one!
Giorgio
Message 6 of 15
(3,205 Views)
I downloaded the daqmx base, but it still doesn't pick up my 6024E card on a G4 laptop, anyone got a solution for this?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,102 Views)
NI-DAQmx Base 1.4 does not support PCMCIA. Sorry.
-Alan A.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,074 Views)
Does anyone use MacOS 9 with NI-DAQ 6.6.1? I want to determine if is a stable configuration.

I decided to avoid Mac OS X for this particular project because OS X does not support NI-DAQ. However, I didn't realize that uprgrading from NI-DAQ 6.0.0 to 6.6.1 would be so problematic.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,277 Views)

@jdwright wrote:
Does anyone use MacOS 9 with NI-DAQ 6.6.1? I want to determine if is a stable configuration.

I decided to avoid Mac OS X for this particular project because OS X does not support NI-DAQ. However, I didn't realize that uprgrading from NI-DAQ 6.0.0 to 6.6.1 would be so problematic.

I don't use Labview so I can't tell you about that. I wrote a plug-in that allows our main product to interface to NI DAQ boards; it runs on Mac OS 9. One complication is that there are two drivers in the NI-DAQ 6 installers: NI-DAQ 6.x to support E-series boards and NI-DAQ 4.9 to support pre-E-series boards (PCI-1200, etc.). If you are using one of the non-E-series boards you will need to select 4.9 from the custom install options.

My plug-in is written in C, which was a problem because they didn't ever release NI-DAQ Software library for 6 on Macintosh. I was ultimately able to talk them out of an unsupported library that supports only E-series boards under NI-DAQ 6 on OS 9.

As I say, I don't know how all this applies to using Labview to access the DAQ boards.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,268 Views)