From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need continuous acquisition of 16 channels through SCXI-1125 to PCMCIA DA board + FFT on all channels. Can it be done?

Where's the limit? Assume a new Dell Latitude running NT with 128 MB RAM and a fast P3. Equip it with the DAQCard-AI-16E-4 connected to an SCXI chassis with 2 SCXI-1125 modules.

How fast can I run the sample rate (per channel) if I want to do continuous DAQ on all 16 channels while computing the power spectrum of all channels once per second (using one second's worth of samples)?

The DAQCard has a tiny FIFO, and I'm hoping to use pretriggered scans so I don't have to wait for data. Is that an option without the DMA functionality of the PCI E-Series boards? Without it I will have to constantly empty the FIFO into a "software" b
uffer which will cost boku (many) processor cycles, correct?

So what say the experts... how fast can this thing run? How about if I ditch the laptop and go PXI with the whole deal? Lets make the case!

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,430 Views)
I believe the PCMCIA interface is going to be the limiting factor in this case. The maximum continuous rate for a DAQCard will vary from computer to computer, but it isn't extremely fast.

Being optimistic, let's estimate 64 K samples/second. I don't know if this is high or low nowadays, but it is higher than I could ever achieve a couple of years ago. Divide that by your 16 channels, and you have 4K blocks. I think you could process this in 1 second easily. This gives you 1 Hz resolution up to 2 Khz.

Now, if you ditch the laptop and go to PXI, it is a whole different story. DAQ rates will not be the limiting factor. You just need to find out how large of a block you can process and keep up.

My approach to this problem would be to figure out what analysi
s you need, then figure out what hardware can accomplish it. Do you really need 1 Hz resolution? Do you need to process every bit of data that comes in? Are you going to store the results, or just display them on the screen? Can you do post-processing of the data if necessary?

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,430 Views)