Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIDAQmx Base: runtime error, can't find LabView!?

G'day,

I'm writing an applciation that will interface with NI USB-60xx hardware via the NIDAQmx Base API.  I've got the latest version 3.5 and I can run the precompiled exampleswithout any issues.  However, if I compile and run the example source code I get a heap of runtime warnings (see attachement) about missing objects for .cpp files.  Some of these objects are expected to be in Labview folders.

Why have I got errors for C++ files when I compiling C?  Why are these errors looking in the home directlroy for a user called /lvbuild (I have no such user)?  Why should I require objects not provided in the NIDAQmx Base package to use it?

The attatchment is the list of runtime warnings after compiling the 'contAcquireNChan.c' example source file.

I am compilling with the frameworks nidaqmxbase, nidaqmxbaselv.

I am compiling under OSX 10.7.

Thanks for any help,

Lee.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,944 Views)

Hello Tangle,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  I just tried again and lucky for me, I can't reproduce the behavior that you are seeing.  Here is what I did to try to reproduce the problem.

1. Reimage to a clean 10.7 system with Xcode installed.

2. Install NI-DAQmx Base 3.5 on the system. (reboot)

3. Navigate to "/Applications/National Instruments/NI-DAQmx Base/examles/ai" via the terminal

4. Type "make" and watch the examples build.

5. run "./contAcquireNChan" to run the example.

I received the usual samples from this example.  I have a few questions for you to understand this better.

1. Is your kernel in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? (I've tested it on both in the past...just want to make sure)

2. Are you able to reproduce this issue with the process I listed above?

3. If not, what are you doing to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Steven T.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,930 Views)

Steve,

Thank you for you reply.

I can't get back to a clean 10.7 install without loosing two days.  However, I have followed your process starting at step 2.

When I make the files at the terminal (as you describe) I do not get the same runtime warnings.

I am using xCode to develop my application.  I did trace these runtime warnings to adding the nidaqmxbase and nidaqmxbaselv frameworks to my xCode project.  Even if I remove all my NIDAQmx Base function calls, just having those frameworks in the project (and linking to them) results in these warnings.  If I remove the frameworks, the warnings disappear.  However, I then tried to reproduce the warnings in a fresh xcode project, and could not.  I went through and made sure that the compilers, compiler flags, etc all matched, but adding the frameworks did not cause runtime warnings in a fresh xcode project.

It must be some specific quirk in my application's project setup that for some reason is interacting with these frameworks in a strange way.  When I have time to do so I will bring my source code across to a fresh project to see if I can identify what is triggering the warnings.

Thank you for your time.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Lee.

P.S.  I find it ammusing that you forum's spell checker does not know the words LabView or NIDAQ

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,917 Views)

Hello Tangle,

The idea that my colleague had is that xCode could be enabling some type of debug build of your project.  I haven't used xCode, so I can't tell you exactly which setting it could be.

Funny, somehow NIDAQmx gets corrected to Indiana in the spell check!

Thanks for the details!

Steven T.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,914 Views)

Steve,

I was using a debug build, but now have switched it off.  It did not changed anything.

I I have since tried moving my source code into a new project and that removed the runtime warnings for the examples source code, most of the time.  Now sometimes, maybe 1 in 5 times that I run, I get the same runtime warnings at the end of the task (previously they occured when the sampling task started).

Thanks

Lee.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,895 Views)