From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI9232 IEPE Module nonlinear measurement deviation

We are troubleshooting the following issue: The behavior of the acceleration signal of subject module behaves strange. All 3 channels show the same behavior. When connecting an IEPE signal simulator (verified calibration master) and simulating a signal (in the range of +/- 100 m/s^2, signal frequency = 80Hz, sensitivity= 500mV/g) for calibration of the measurement chain. The measured signal is correct until 10 m/s^2 (no deviation). At 20 m/s^2 We observe a deviation of 7 m/s^2,  as of 30 m/s^2 We observe a constant deviation of 5 m/s^2.

Does anybody have an explanation for this type of behavior? What could we do to identify the root-cause or eliminate the deviation besides exchanging the hardware?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,214 Views)

Please confirm if my understanding is correct,

• Sensitivity 500mV/g = ~ 50.97mV/m/s^2
  • Range +/- 100m/s^2 => +/- 5.097 V range
    • But NI9232 has only one range +/-31.5Vpk typical
  • At 10m/s2 - no deviation
    • 509.7mV sine = GOOD
  • At 20m/s2 - 7m/s2 deviation
    • 1.02V sine = 356mV deviation
  • At 30m/s2 - 5m/s2 deviation
    • 1.53V sine = 254mV deviation

As per specifications,

santo_13_0-1623976989658.png

Uncalibrated measurement accuracy is +/- (1.5% of reading + 0.59% of range) = +/- ( 1.5% of 1.02V + 0.59% of 31.5V) = +/- 0.200V

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,175 Views)

What did you use as the verified IEPE simulator?

Here is a link to a calibration guidline : DKD-R_3-2_2019_en.pdf   with two simulators proposed. (I build my own down to DC and can set the bias... different story)

I would check the IEPE voltage during calibration.  (DMM in AC mode or if you want to sample it: Use a 9V battery in series to bring it down into +-10V range 😉 )

Oh... 4 mA current and BIAS voltage checked? 

How did you measure the amplitude? Sine fit, tone detection vi, RMS or?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 3 of 3
(1,111 Views)