Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI9214 vs NI9211

Hello,

I'm running on a Magtrol brand 4Q Dyno (it's a system designed and created entirely by the Magtrol company).  They use an NI-9211 module for temperature readings.  I've used this before, both on this system and on other self-designed systems.  I was needing to collect more than just 4 temperatures, though, and changed over to a NI-9214, 16-Channel module.  There was some Task changes to be made on their system and I got everything ready to go.  The temps were recording as they should, however I had some fluctuation in the readings.  I had 6 J-type TCs at various points on my motor/controller (running at 67V) and 1 ambient TC.  I was using channels 0-6, and no common.  No matter what combination of TC channel usage, Commons usage, TC wire shielding, nothing worked and I was getting a fluctuation of about 4C every few seconds.  I'm recording at about 5Hz.  I changed everything back to the NI-9211 and am only running 4 TCs and am getting no fluctuation in my temperature readings.  I understand these modules aren't the same, but does anyone have an idea as to what I might be overlooking that is causing this fluctuation in the temperature readings?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(903 Views)

Did you ground the COM channel?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(898 Views)

At first I didn't, then I tried with grounding the Com channel - no change with or without it being grounded.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(896 Views)

I am inclined towards suspecting any potential on the thermocouples, for example, you mount a thermocouple onto a motor body, ideally, that motor body has to be grounded but it is not, in this case, any potential on the motor body is passed onto the thermocouple.

I might have overlooked - did you say that you see a consistent fluctuation on all the thermocouple channels? and can you share some waveform of the fluctuations?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(866 Views)