Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI cDAQ-9172: Device does not show up under Window's Device Manager after being connected through USB

Our DAQ has been sitting around for a while, and we thought it was about time we make use of it.  However, after connecting it to my PC I have still been unable to get the device to respond in any way.  An LED shows that the device is powered, but is not communicating across USB.  The device also does not appear under Window's device manager.  I have tried re-starting, using a different USB port, re-installing the driver, checking the cable for connectivity, etc. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my PC to recognize the DAQ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,691 Views)

What DAQmx driver version are you using?  Has the device ever worked on this computer before?  What version of Measurement and Automation Explorer are you using?  Do you have any other machines with NI software on it that you can test it on?

Jon S

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(3,672 Views)

I'm using DAQmx driver 8.8

From what I know it did work on the computer before and my MAX is up to date.

I downloaded the driver and MAX again on a separate computer (from here: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1085/lang/en) and was still unable to connect to the DAQ.

I called an NI engineer for support and he told me the device most likely needs to be sent in for maintenance.  The weird thing is that Windows doesn't even recognize anything is hooked up to it, which means the DAQ isn't sending anything out.  I'd like to be sure though because NI charges a no-service cost of about $200 if they don't have to fix anything, so any suggestions on other things to try would be appreciated.    

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,668 Views)

It sounds like you've done a fair amount of troubleshooting.  Is it possible you could share your SR that you have open so I can discuss this further with your current support engineer?

Jon S

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 7
(3,653 Views)

Ofcourse thank you.  Here's the SR number: 1690535

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,648 Views)

I know you mentioned that you checked the cable connectivity.  How did you do this?  I've seen issues before where the USB cable is either not working or is a power only cable.  Can you try a different USB cable with it?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 7
(3,631 Views)

I checked the connectivity using a DMM.  It was a standard A to B USB cable to I just checked all 4 lines.  It was a long cable though (over 5 feet) so I tried using a shorter cable because I thought there might be timing issues.  Still didn't have any luck though.

At this point I think it's safe to say the DAQ needs maintenance / replacement.  I handed it over to our PO people and they're going to send it in to you guys. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,629 Views)