From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI cDAQ-9171 as a waveform generator

I'm trying to find a cheap way of creating a 4-channel analog output waveform generator, and I was wondering if it would be possible to use the NI cDAQ-9171 USB module as a waveform generator through LabView. This waveform generator would have to be able to simultaneously output 3 waveforms and I would need to have live control over the outputs (frequency, phase, waveform shape, amplitude, etc) of these channels. Would this device be able to suit my needs?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,142 Views)

The cDAQ-9171 only has a single analog output timing engine. You can use the single timing engine to generate waveforms on multiple channels, but it will complicate your "live control over the outputs" requirement.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
Message 2 of 6
(4,135 Views)

Ah, that makes sense. So in order to work around that, I might want to use something like the NI USB-6343?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,133 Views)

The USB-6343 also only has a single analog output timing engine.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,101 Views)
it will complicate your "live control over the outputs" requirement

But it would be still possible I guess. It would just require handling the frequencey/amplitude/phase changes in software, while keeping the physical generation frequency constant. It all depends on what resolution, accuracy and latency is required.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,085 Views)

Would a VI such as this be able to provide a solution to the multi-channel waveform output that I'm looking for? Also, I would definitely like to be able to output arbitrary waves, but I don't know if this VI could be modified to accept arb files in the form of .csv's or something. Is such a modification possible?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,064 Views)