Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-USB9211A not seen by DAQmx on Windows 7 PC

Hi All,

We've been happily running our USB-9211A on a WinXP machine using DAQmx 4.3 (a few years old, but if it ain't broke...)

We can't seem to get this device recognised on a new Win 7 machine. We have downloaded DAQmx 9.3 (as well as other recent DAQmx versions back to 8.0), but none recognise the device (although it is seen in Windows Device Manager).

We've downloaded and installed the latest driver files, but to no avail. We've tried other alternatives, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone please help!!??

Tony.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,940 Views)

Hi Tony,

I'd first like to clarify that there was no DAQmx 4.3 version.  The first version of DAQmx was 7.0.  Additionally, although our traditional DAQ drivers go further back, I could not find a 4.3 version.  Did you perhaps mean DAQmx 7.3?  Or possibly MAX 4.3?

The minimum required drivers for your hardware are, NI-DAQmx 8.7 or later NI-DAQmx Base 3.x, Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) 7.4.1 or later.  These can be obtained from our Drivers and Update page.

Once you have installed drivers that meet the above minimum requirements, consider the following steps.

1.  Does the device still work in your old machine or any machine that worked before?  If it doesn't then you may have a device failure.

2.  Try different USB ports.  If you're on a laptop, then check your USB Power Management settings in both Windows and in your BIOS.  Disable any settings that may refer to handling power on the USB ports.

3.  Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager.  Expand your data acquisition devices.  Right click on your USB-9211A, and choose uninstall.  Once this has completed, right click  on your computer name and choose "Scan for hardware changes".  At this point it should recognize and reinstall your USB device.

4.  Check MAX to see if your device is now recognized.

5.  If not, try repairing your drivers by going to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>National Instruments Software and locating your NI-DAQmx drivers and click Repair.

6. Check MAX again to see if it is recognized.

7.  It's possible your MAX database may have become corrupted.  Follow the steps in What is the Process For Removing MAX Database Corruption? to repair your MAX database.

Regards,

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,933 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your detailed response. I did mean MAX 4.3, sorry about the confusion.

We've tried all of the steps you recommended but with no success. We also tried complete removal of NI software and reinstallation and installing pre-Windows 7 version of MAX in XP mode on this computer. In the end we went to another computer running XP and had no trouble at all.

We did get an error pop up frequently that stated that the program could not access the database and that we should restart the computer and contact NI of the problem persists.

While we've found another computer to keep us going, I'd be very keen to hear any other suggestions you might have to resolve this.

Many thanks,

Tony.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,896 Views)

Are you using the computer as an Administrator?  Without more information, this error could be related to permission issues.  If you could post the error, or post a screenshot of it, that would help.

Using DAQmx/MAX on a Windows 7 PC should not be an issue if you are using DAQmx version 9.1 or higher.

It may be time to perform a full re-install of your DAQmx software.  Performing a re-install is different than a repair or a normal installation, because it will re-run all of the steps of the setup, regardles of whether it thinks those steps have been completed previously or not.

Unless you have a reason to stay with an older version of DAQmx, I would recommend you use at least version 9.1, which supports Windows 7 and your device.  It would probably be best to go with the most current version, version 9.3.    These can be accessed at our Drivers and Update page that I referenced before.

Whichever version you decide to go with, initiate the reinstallation by going to either command prompt or Start>Run and entering <path to your setup file>\setup.exe -reinstall .

If you continue to have problems, I will need some more details about the problem:

1.  Windows 7 32 or 64-bit?

2.  32 or 64-bit machine?

3.  In MAX under Software, what 'NI-DAQmx XXXXXX' listings do you see?

4.  What is the MAX error tht you are getting?

5.  Do any other NI USB show up in MAX? (if you have any)

6.  Screenshot or exact text from that MAX error

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,878 Views)