Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6356 record problem

Hi there,

I tried to record a RF waveform ~800mV and 20kHz. I checked RF signal looked great with scope. However, I got very different result with NI USB-6356 Analog input. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Wei

20211006_162130.jpg20211006_162152.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(163 Views)

Please provide more information,

• Exact circuit diagram of the connections
  • Attach the VI used to capture the data
  • DAQmx settings used for data capture
    • sampling rate, voltage range, NRSE or DIFF etc.,

I observe that you've enabled 50-ohm termination on the scope, have you implemented the 50-ohm termination for the DAQ?

-Santhosh
Semiconductor Validation & Production Test
Soliton Technologies
NI CLD, CTD
LabVIEW + TestStand + TestStand Semiconductor Module (2013 - 2020)
NI STS for Mixed signal and RF
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(148 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you for your information!

I thought all the AI ports are 50-ohm. Would you please let me know why we need 50-ohm termination for DAQ? If I need to use ports 0~3, shall I terminate ports 4~7 with 50-ohm connector?

Regards,

Wei

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(120 Views)

50-ohm termination is available only for high-speed or RF instrumentation, the DAQ you've is neither and hence required a 50-ohm termination at the input.

Typically all DAQ ADCs are high-impedance to measure small signals and not to load typical circuits. As mentioned in the specifications, the input impedance is very high.

santo_13_0-1633666301407.png

I would definitely recommend a 50-ohm resistor at the AIs or else your RF signal is driven into high impedance causing harmonics and double the voltages.

Just a 50-ohm connector such as SMA/SMB will not be sufficient, you definitely need a 50-ohm resistor to gnd at the front of AI.

-Santhosh
Semiconductor Validation & Production Test
Soliton Technologies
NI CLD, CTD
LabVIEW + TestStand + TestStand Semiconductor Module (2013 - 2020)
NI STS for Mixed signal and RF
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(117 Views)