From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6356 record problem

Hi there,

I tried to record a RF waveform ~800mV and 20kHz. I checked RF signal looked great with scope. However, I got very different result with NI USB-6356 Analog input. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Wei

20211006_162130.jpg20211006_162152.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(747 Views)

Please provide more information,

• Exact circuit diagram of the connections
  • Attach the VI used to capture the data
  • DAQmx settings used for data capture
    • sampling rate, voltage range, NRSE or DIFF etc.,

I observe that you've enabled 50-ohm termination on the scope, have you implemented the 50-ohm termination for the DAQ?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(732 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you for your information!

I thought all the AI ports are 50-ohm. Would you please let me know why we need 50-ohm termination for DAQ? If I need to use ports 0~3, shall I terminate ports 4~7 with 50-ohm connector?

Regards,

Wei

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(704 Views)

50-ohm termination is available only for high-speed or RF instrumentation, the DAQ you've is neither and hence required a 50-ohm termination at the input.

Typically all DAQ ADCs are high-impedance to measure small signals and not to load typical circuits. As mentioned in the specifications, the input impedance is very high.

santo_13_0-1633666301407.png

I would definitely recommend a 50-ohm resistor at the AIs or else your RF signal is driven into high impedance causing harmonics and double the voltages.

Just a 50-ohm connector such as SMA/SMB will not be sufficient, you definitely need a 50-ohm resistor to gnd at the front of AI.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(701 Views)