From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6218 voltage measurement issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone ! I am a student and very new to this and am still getting familiar with the basics. I am working on a project with an electronic card.

I have to send some commands on the serial link of the card to activate and deactivate some I/O in order to measure different voltages on the card and to validate some tests. I want to automate these tests using python and the NI-DAQmx Python API.

Currently, I have 28 analog voltages to measure and 2 analog voltages to send that's why I am using the DAQ USB-6218 with its 32 analog inputs and its 2 analog outputs. Also, the input range of 10 V suits me perfectly due to the fact that most of my voltages are between 0 and 10 V.

However, I am getting some issues while measuring analog voltages greater than 5.44 V with my DAQ and the Python API ... for example, if I put a power source of 9 V on the AI4 in RSE MODE (I connected the ground to a AI GND port), when I am using the test panels, I can see my correct voltage but if I use the nidaqmx library on Python and if I am running this code :

import nidaqmx
import time

task_ai4 = nidaqmx.Task()  #port 24
task_ai4.ai_channels.add_ai_voltage_chan("Dev1/ai4",terminal_config=nidaqmx.constants.TerminalConfiguration.RSE)
time.sleep(2.0)

voltage_ai4 = task_ai4.read()
print("Tension sur le port AI 4 : ", voltage_ai4)

I get these outputs :

output_pb NI.png

I can't see where the problem comes from ... in fact this code is running perfectly for lower voltages ...

Here, a picture of the test I realised :

problème acquisition tension.png

I tested for different voltages and if it's greater than 5.44 V I will not get the correct voltage output on my python programm ... 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,443 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Quertsy

It sounds to me like maybe your device is defaulting to a +/- 5V input range and you're saturating it by feeding in >5V.

I don't know the Python syntax, but when you add your channel to the task there should be a way to specify a +/- 10V range.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(1,394 Views)

Hi Mr Price,

Thank you a lot for your answer, you are right, I had to add a minimum value and a maximum value in the declaration of the task, it's working perfectly now.

Best regards,

Quertsy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,373 Views)