Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6218 Intermittent Connection

Hi,

I've been using an NI USB-6218 and a few days ago it started behaving oddly. The basics of it is that apparently it's being detected by the NI MAX, but it constantly "refreshes" this connection (as in it loses the connection then immediately reconnects). This happens fast enough (each cycle is about ~5seconds long) so that it virtually can't be used because losing the connection in the middle of a VI means it just won't run.

I've tried troubleshooting it and most things I've found were about it being detected as USB Firmware Downloader, but in my case the device is actually being detected "properly" (as in labeled correctly and I get the "USB-6218 detected!" message), but the connection seems to be faulty.

I've restarted the major NI Device Loader services, rebooted the computer several times and tested the device on multiple computers and laptops.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be happening and, more importantly, how do I go about fixing it?

Thank you so much in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,218 Views)

Hi,

To help you with this issue, please answer me below questions:

Have you tried different USB cables?

Have you tried other computer else?

Is the device power source working appropriately?

If you checked all above questions and even so the issue persists, make sure the enviroment where the device is doesn't suffer of EMI (Eletromagnetic Interferences).

This KB will instruct you about EMI:

USB DAQ Device Temporarily Loses Communication with LabVIEW, MAX, or Other NI Software

Any question let me know.

Thanks,

Lincoln

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,171 Views)

Hi Iferreira,

I've already opened a support link with the folks at NI, but they're also having trouble figuring things out, so I'll answer everything:

Have you tried different USB cables?

Yes, I've tried multiple cables that are working perfectly fine with other devices.

> Have you tried other computer else?

Yes, I've tried not only on desktops but also laptops. Tried on machines with firewall and antivirus running and others without any of this.

> Is the device power source working appropriately?

It's powered exclusively through the USB and its lights are blinking once you connect it. Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure how to check this.

> If you checked all above questions and even so the issue persists, make sure the enviroment where the device is doesn't suffer of EMI (Eletromagnetic Interferences).

I don't believe that's the case either. I've tested the device on multiple workbenches, office desks, completely clean tables, etc.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,167 Views)