Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCI-4351

Hi,

We have a NI PCI-4351 and we are running under Windows 98.

We plan to move to Windows 7.

Anyone using this board in Windows 7 and is there anything we should look out for when we move?

Are there drivers for this board in Windows 7?

We are also at present using LabView 6.1 and TestStand 2.0.1.

Trying to get up to date Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,664 Views)

If you want to use the legacy PCI-4351 on Windows 7, you'll need to install the Traditional NI-DAQ 7.5 beta driver.  This driver is very much in beta and hasn't been rigorously tested for Windows 7.  Also, it cannot be installed on a system that also has NI-DAQmx installed.  This driver won't ever be moved past beta, as this is intended only to serve as a temporary solution while users develop replacement code using NI-DAQmx hardware.

Regards,

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,644 Views)

Seth,

Plans are to possible start in the next 3 to 4 months on the move to Windows 7.

If we develop a solution for the PCI-4351 with the NI-DAQ 7.5 can we use NI-DAQmx when it is finally released for Windows 7?

I have never need to take from the ground up a test system and so all the questions.

Thanks for the help

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,629 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,625 Views)

Rich,

I was hedging my bets as I was unsure where best to ask the question.

I am only doing the investigation into the move to Windows 7 and keeping the same test hardware.

I also looking into use CVI in the new setup, at present we use LabView 2.0.1

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,620 Views)

That's fine Simon, I just wanted to connect the two so that people can see what else has been discussed.

With regards to your last question, the problem is not Windows7 support for DAQmx as this is already available, the problem is that the PCI-4351 is not supported by DAQmx as shown on this page. If you want to use the 4351 in Windows7 you have no choice other than using the Traditional NI-DAQ 7.5 beta driver otherwise you could look at using newer hardware platforms that we would be more than happy to discuss with you.

I hope this helps

Rich

NI|UK

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,608 Views)
NI-DAQmx is already supported on Windows 7 as of NI-DAQmx 9.0.2.  However, NI-DAQmx does not support the PCI-4351, that is only supported under Traditional NI-DAQ, which is only supported on Windows 7 through this limited beta-version driver.
Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,602 Views)

Hi,

Sorry to go on but I need to understand this as once we start it would be costly to try to change and as I say this is my first venture into taking it from the bottom up.

I can install Traditional NI-DAQ to support the PCI-4351 in LabView or CVI, correct?

If in the future I need to install a board that is support by NI-DAQmx 9.0.2, can the two sit side by side on the same system?

If NO what is the alternative?

Thanks for the help

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,587 Views)

You can install the Traditional NI-DAQ 7.5 beta driver, which will provide support for your PCI-4351.  This driver is very much a beta version and may have some unexpected behavior, but for the vast majority of cases it should work correctly.  If you then need to add hardware that is only supported in NI-DAQmx (M Series, X Series, CompactDAQ, etc.) to the system, you would need to install NI-DAQmx 9.0.2 or later.  Once you install this driver, you may not be able to communicate with the PCI-4351, due to a known issue with the beta version that will not be remedied due to the development time and the fact that Traditional NI-DAQ is no longer an actively supported driver.  We have seen the issue come up on more machine than it hasn't, so there it is a decent bet that you will encounter the issue as well.

Unfortunately, the main work around would be to have separate machines for your PCI-4351 and your DAQmx hardware, or to migrate to Windows XP instead of Windows 7.  Another option would be to look at something like the NI USB-9213 for thermocouple measurements, which is supported in NI-DAQmx.

Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,581 Views)

Given the discussion so far, I'd second the suggestion that you consider upgrading to XP rather than to Windows 7.  Under XP, you can use DAQmx and a full non-beta release of "traditional" NI-DAQ side-by-side.  I've been using a setup for years now with a PCI-4351 which I program via traditional NI-DAQ, along with a couple other boards I program through DAQmx.  All boards are used within a single app without issues.

I keep looking for a DAQmx-supported replacement for the 4351 but have not seen anything with sufficient a combo of resolution, channel count, and support of multiple sensor types.  Your needs may be different enough that you can consider one of the other options in the USB or compact DAQ categories.  If so, that may be an even better option for you.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,575 Views)