Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI MAX

I have held off for the last few years commenting on the ridiculous changes that have been made to NI MAX over the years but I guess if I never say anything then nothing will ever change.

When I started way back in LabVIEW 5.0 I could move global virtual channels where ever I wanted to. I did not need a daq card connected to add or move global virtual channels. Now I have to have a card connected to create new channels and I cannot move them unless that same card is present on the target computer. I am not sure why I can not just make the channels I need an mover them where they need to go. I used to be able to create a loadcell channel with a scale and I could move it to any device that had a compatible AI. I was also able to create an accelerometer channel. Today I can only create an accelerometer channel if I have a system from NI that is specifically an accelerometer daq system. I thought you made LabVIEW flexible so I could use what ever signal conditioner I wanted to and not just NI stuff. Not any more to all of these things.

Another example of an issue I am having is I can not import channels unless the cDAQ device is on my computer. Why does this device need to be present in order for me to to import my global virtual channels to my development computer? I need to alter software and put the new code on the target. I usually would have no reason to connect to the cDAQ system to make these changes only now it is a requirement. How crazy is that. I am sure that NI has a reason but it has made my life much harder to support the many applications and systems that I take care of. The other issues I have is that after I lug my computer to the system, attach to the cDAQ chassis and import all my channels. I make the changes to the code and test the system. Now I go back to my desk where I am no longer connected to the cDAQ I can not delete the cDAQ chassis from my list of network devices. Why is that? It tells me I need to have ownership of the chassis to delete it. I have many systems that I take care of so having every one of them on my computer all of the time seems overwhelming. Why do I need to have ownership of a chassis to delete it from NI MAX, or to import channels or anything?

I am sure this will fall on deaf ears but I wanted to get this out there. NI MAX seems to get harder to use with every upgrade.

Tim an 18 year veteran LabVIEW user

Tim
GHSP
Message 1 of 2
(2,057 Views)

Hello,

I suggest you to post this concern you have in the idea exchange forum.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideas

There you can propose that NI-MAX should have previous features, if your idea catch the community attention then R&D would consider to work on your proposal.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,029 Views)