From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQmx runtime options under Additional Installers don't show

Solved!
Go to solution

Half way in this FAQ (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3021) talks about the various Runtime options available when including NI-DAQmx driver in a LabVIEW Installer - they are Full and 5 different Runtime options. I have LabVIEW 2011 and NI-DAQmx 9.3.5; the only Install type I see is Full. Any idea what I may have missed to install or setup correctly?

Thanks

Jorge

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,991 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jorgeinSD

Hi Jorge - 

You make a great point bringing up that issue.  The reality is that the documentation is a bit of a type-o.  The last version of DAQmx that allowed this multiple-install type capability was 8.7.1 which allowed Full, Runtime 3 and 5.  Version 8.6.1 allowed all selectable options from Full to Runtime and RT 2-5.  

This was changed in the Installer development because omitting specific features such as Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) makes it much harder to program the source files that use the DAQmx driver.  Choosing limited DAQmx installers causes difficulty in future development. SignalExpress is also omitted from certain versions.   This change was made to avoid such issues that were deemed an issue when installers were created with these minimalist installs.  I will be making that edit to the Developer Zone so the confusion doesn't prompt future readers.  

I really appreciate your post and bringing this to our attention.  

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,978 Views)

Thanks Ben !

What's the suggested approach when packaging a simple DAQ application and keeping the installer's footprint small?

Jorge

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,972 Views)

Jorge - 

Currently with the smaller DAQmx install types being absent, you won't be able to have a smaller footprint than the core DAQmx driver.  This is of course assuming you are using one of the versions of 8.6 or greater.  This is an important issue that has been brought to the attention of our R&D Installers group because it is an ongoing customer request to minimize a deployment's footprint.  

In working with what you have, the only suggestion I would give is just to make sure you are not bundling any unnecessary components into the installer that are not needed by your program.  I know that sounds like an obvious suggestion, but until a new change is instilled with the new NI-DAQmx installer package, you won't have many options with that one.  

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,960 Views)