Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQmx installation failed (Mac OS X 10.6)

Announcing support for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) available immediately for download 🙂

NI-DAQmx Base 3.4 for Mac OS X

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 37
(2,600 Views)

It seems to be a wasted update. It still doesn't support DAQmxBaseSetTrigAttribute.Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 37
(2,592 Views)

Send that to the NI Suggestion Center so it gets formally put on the list.  Specifying why this is an important item to support makes it get a higher priority.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 37
(2,570 Views)

Hi,

The above modifications are still not solving the problem on my IMAC......... I am still getting the same error as mentioned above in the "INSTALLER LOG"

Please help me out with the issue......

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 37
(2,441 Views)

Just install DAQmx Base 3.4 instead. See the link in my post a few replies above.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Message 25 of 37
(2,423 Views)

Thanx a lot.......... it worked......... KUDOSSSSS

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 37
(2,407 Views)

I just downloaded DAQmx Base 3.4, but it failed to install causing an error - "Switch to a 32-bit kernel before installing this software."

How could I avoid this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 37
(2,126 Views)

That is not an "error" but a requirement.  The kernel extensions are 32 bit only and will only work with a 32 bit kernel.  Reboot your machine into 32 bit mode.  Hold down the 3 & 2 keys while booting.  Search the web for ways to make this the default boot.  There is a nice utility called 32 or 64 bit startup selector  http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

Previously NI claimed that this was not a big restriction since by default all Macs booted into 32 bit mode.  This is no longer true but NI has still failed to provide 64 bit drivers.  Now that Lion is out as a developer preview it should be clear if Lion can even use 32 bit mode or not.  If not then there is a complete failure to be able to run any kernel extensions (VISA, GPIB, and NIDAQmx Base) under Mac OS X Lion (aka 10.7).  I hope that NI will make a public statement on Lion compatibility in the near future.  The NI Mac web page http://www.ni.com/mac is somewhat dated.

So it isn't an error but installation instructions.  So you can avoid this by switching to a 32 bit kernel before installing the software just like it says in the message.  You have to be in a 32 bit kernel to use it as well.

Message 28 of 37
(2,120 Views)

sth wrote:

Now that Lion is out as a developer preview it should be clear if Lion can even use 32 bit mode or not. If not then there is a complete failure to be able to run any kernel extensions (VISA, GPIB, and NIDAQmx Base) under Mac OS X Lion (aka 10.7). I hope that NI will make a public statement on Lion compatibility in the near future. The NI Mac web page http://www.ni.com/mac is somewhat dated.

Yes, NI has made a public statement (and just prior to your post). I'll ask the ni.com/mac owner to consider adding a link to the statement as well.

Mac OS X Lion (10.7) Compatibility with National Instruments Software

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F092760FFB971DFA862578B0006458A5

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 37
(2,037 Views)

@JoeFriedchicken wrote:

Yes, NI has made a public statement (and just prior to your post). I'll ask the ni.com/mac owner to consider adding a link to the statement as well.

Mac OS X Lion (10.7) Compatibility with National Instruments Software

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F092760FFB971DFA862578B0006458A5

What fantastic response time.  Answering my questions before they are asked!  Now that is user support!

Joking aside, this is a fantastic change for NI to give estimated dates for this problem to be resolved.  I appreciate the times are estimates but having even a planned goal is great!  This is much improved policy than the infuriating and frustrating policy of the past!

As Mr. Deity says, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.....

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 37
(2,023 Views)