Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAQmx 9188 configuration

I have problem while doing the configuration.

FYI, my PC Os - Windows XP, network: DHCP settings

please refer to the attachment for screen shots of MAX.

also tried using NI Network Browser. but when click on the IP Address, error 404 comes out. the webpage cannot be found.

please help..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,266 Views)

Hi Toyan,

It looks like the 9188 has a link local address. (169.254.xxx.xxx). That indicates that when it booted up it could not get an IP address from a DHCP server. What is the topology of your network? Is the 9188 plugged directly into one of your ethernet ports on your computer or are you plugging it into a switch or router? 

If it is plugged directly into your computer, the easiest thing to do would be to set that adapter to a static IP and set the IP address to the same subnet (169.254.xxx.xxx). Then you should be able to configure it. 

If it is plugged into the network you can try rebooting the 9188. It could be that it wasn't plugged in when booting and this will cause it to select a link local address. If you did try restarting and its still not obtaining an IP address then you may want to talk to your IT department or whoever manages the network to make sure there isn't anything else you need to do to get an IP address from the DHCP server. 

Here is a KB on network CDAQ troubleshooting as well

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,244 Views)

from the MAX, the cDAQ seems succesfully connected to the MAX, but there's still red cross on the cDAQ name & modules at the left of MAX (the list).

unable to self test, unable to reserve as well.

why is that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,189 Views)

Hi Toyan,

The Red X means that MAX was able to communicate to the cDAQ chassis at one point but now it has lost communication. 

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,156 Views)

After update the cDAQ driver, now it can connect to cDAQ.

but somehow after i pull out the ethernet - to connect it to other laptop and connect it back to the PC, the cDAQ fails to connect.

do i need to update the driver everytime reconnect the cDAQ?

this is not right....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,146 Views)

is there something wrong with Wins 7?

now it's limited for us to work with 1 pc because the ethernet cable is strictly cannot be plucked out.

otherwise...headache!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,093 Views)

Hi toyan-

When you reconnect the cable to a laptop or PC that has previously been used with the device, you either need to Reserve the chassis again (in MAX via the Reserve button, or programmatically via the DAQmx Reserve Network Device function), or you need to try to Self Test or execute a Device Reset on the device so that the driver is forced to reconnect with the device in software.

Hopefully this helps-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,087 Views)

Hi Tom,

It's not the problem.

the main cause i suspect that, everytime it generate a new IP, the cDAQ & the PC is not well communicated therefore it's not detected the device in the PC's MAX.

only after after connect another PC, get the new IP Address, and connect back to the host PC and search using the new IP Address and walla!! It detected.

plus, why everytime i new start the host PC, i need to do self test before using the cDAQ?

why it's not automatically started?

otherwise, my labview cannot detect the modules in the program.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,078 Views)

Hi toyan-

Are your cDAQ chassis and host PCs on different subnets?  If they are on the same subnet (or same local network link, like a shared router or switch), using Self Test or Device Reset should try many different ways to 'find' the chassis again, including its old IP, its hostname, its mDNS service instance name (which is unique per cDAQ system), and some others (though not definitely in that order).

The host PC and cDAQ chassis need to agree on things like basic settings and communication on the device.  When the DAQmx driver for that chassis loads, it attempts to automatically re-establish communication and perform a Device Reset, if needed.  If the chassis isn't immediately accessible though (perhaps because of a changed IP address or hostname), the DAQmx driver will eventually give up trying to find the chassis.  In that case, a manual Device Reset or Self Test is necessary once you are ready to run your application.  I suspect that this is what you are running into. 

My advice would be to just execute a Self Test or Device Reset on the chassis device (for example, cDAQ1) at the beginning of your application.  If that fails, nothing else in your application that uses the modules will work and you can respond appropriately (warn the user, try again, etc).  If it works, your modules should be present and ready for use.

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,071 Views)

Hi Tom,

1) Yes, both of them are in different subnet. Manual search for the device was always fail.

as i told you before, i need to find the IP address which loaded from other PC first, then i use that IP address and manually search for device from the host PC, then it works.

2) are you saying that i need to add self test at the beginning of my application?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,062 Views)