From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI DAQ 8.0 and Visual Studio 6.0 Support

Hi,

I downloaded NI-DAQ 8.00 for my usb 6008. I have Visual Studio 6.0 installed on my computer. I am trying to create a simple application in Visual Basic 6.0 that just shows a voltage from 6008 in a field, graph, etc. When I initially installed NI-DAQ it did allow me to install Visual Basic 6.0 support on local drive. But when I launched VB and tried creating an app, I could not find the Active X controls from Measurement studio. Then I installed MeasurementStudio6Updater.exe. That has not worked either. I can't even find any examples of VB in my National Instruments folder. Also I have Visual Studio. NET 2001 installed on a different computer. And that is not supported either. I am trying to follow the tutorial at http://www.ni.com/swf/demos/us/mstudio/vbnetdaq/default.htm but I can't find any class libraries.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,877 Views)
Howdy Sajjad -

It sounds as if you are familiar with our old CWDAQ ActiveX controls.  These, however, are no longer used with DAQmx.  There is, in contrast, a native API which you can use to program in Visual Basic 6.0.  You can find some examples under <NI-DAQ installation dir>\Examples\Visual Basic 6.0\. 

Let me know if that folder does not exist.

Do you have any other Measurement Studio ActiveX controls installed (such as cwGraph, for example)?  Are you able to see those controls in Visual Basic 6.0, or are you experiencing problems with Measurement Studio user interface controls as well?

I look forward to your answers.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Andrew W || Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,849 Views)

Hi,

I have installed an evaluation version of Measurement Studio 6.0. I can open up some examples from there, but when I try to run DAQ example, I get this error:

The NI-DAQ DLL could not be called due to an interface error

I searched the web and found out that your latest drivers (in DAQ 8.0) are not compatible with Measurement Studio 6.0. Anyways I do have some examples located in: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\Visual Basic 6.0 folder. Since I have installed Measurement Studio 6.0, would that casue any driver conflict if I try to run the examples in this folder. Following these examples (in the DAQ folder), can I build a simple VB GUI just to see if I can acquire a voltage from 6008?. Do you have any examples in C?.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,840 Views)
Sajjad,

The examples in the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\Visual Basic 6.0 directory do not rely on Measurement Studio - they are just VB 6.0 examples. Also, DAQmx 8.0 is compatible with Visual Basic 6.0. There should be no conflict running examples from this folder. The Measurement Studio DAQ examples that ship with version 6.0 are for our Traditional (Legacy) NI-DAQ driver, which 1.) does not support your 6008, and 2.) Is not installed with NI-DAQ 8.0. Your 6008 is only supported with our newer NI-DAQmx driver, which is used in the examples in the above directory.

I suggest you work on getting your data using the DAQmx examples, then begin adding Measurement Studio 6.0 indicators to display that data. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Hope this helps,
Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,822 Views)