From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9862 and CANopen

Hello community,

is it basically possible to address CANopen devices with the CAN module (9862) and cDAQ? NI-9862 does not support the NI CANopen library, would it still be possible?
In my concrete case it is about two pressure sensors from the company Wika which have a CANopen configuration, the pressure values are to be read out and graphically displayed via Labview. I am a relative beginner in CAN-Bus, but I am just learning the ropes. Thanks already for all your tips and inputs that could help me further.

Fabian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,959 Views)

Hey Fabian,

If you haven't bought the NI-9862 i would use the Ixxat USB-to-CAN converter and the Ixxat CANopen Master API. It's well explained and works great for me. As far as I know, there is no CANopen Driver for the NI-9862.

If you only need very basic PDO/SDO communication, you can build the SDO functions by yourself.
PDOs are normal CAN messages, so you can scan your messages for the right CAN-IDs and translate the date to your desired formats.
For SDO you can find some great information about the Protocol in this Manual: https://www.festo.com/net/SupportPortal/Files/403859/CMMS-CO_2010-12a_554352g1.pdf (Page 17.). You have to build some functions for read/write and you have your SDO communication.

If you need more CANopen features, buying the right HW is a better option.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,883 Views)
Thanks for the tip, we have both the NI-9862 and the IXXAT interface (USB-to-CAN compact).I'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,840 Views)