Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9375 Digital Ouputs for Current

I was wondering if I could use the NI-9375 for controlling multiple outputs of current, but with each one varying in amount.  I know the manual says this for current output: 

Continuous output current (IO)

NI 9375 with spring terminal

All channels on 125 mA maximum (per channel)

One channel on 500 mA maximum

Per module 0.25 A2 

Could I not just add a resistor to increase the current?  Example: have the Digital Output powered by a 24V power supply, put a 10 ohm resistor between the module and device I'm powering, to get an output current of 2.4 Amps?  Or would this lead to bad things happening to my NI-9375 module?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,798 Views)

Hi brethigh,

The output current depends on the load (resistance) between the output line and DO COM. It is up to you to ensure that the load on the line is high enough so that the output current does not exceed the maximum output current. So if you tried using a 10 ohm resistor, the module will have to source 2.4 A, which is above its maximum current and it will almost certainly break the module.

-Jordan

Message 2 of 3
(1,751 Views)

I was fairly certain that would be the case, just hoping that I overlooked something and was wrong.  I think I've figured out a different way to accomplish the end goal, which is simply using the output channels to control relays.  Since I'm needing to have up to 2A going through the circuit I don't think I can directly control that with any C series modules.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,747 Views)