Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9265 Compliance Voltage

Solved!
Go to solution

Can anyone give me a decent reason why the compliance voltage on the NI 9265 is only 12V, but you can supply the card with 9-36VDC?  The process control industry would REALLY love to know if there is any chance of updating this someday.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,124 Views)

The compliance voltage is 12V because the output load is rated to a max 600 ohms.

I would assume this is set with respect to the characteristics of the DC-DC converter and finding one with clean enough regulation to support a 16bit ADC so that sub-microAmp precision is achievable.  But I had no hand in the design considerations.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 5
(5,122 Views)

Jeff, that all makes absolute sense, and I'm sure those were the considerations.  tradeoffs have to be made.  I just happen to know some fairly large companies, and a few small ones (Iike JET) that are finding this to be an issue.  I'm having issues powering a valve via 9265 and being able to use a HART modem with it, and I'm not the only person.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,120 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kent.wedeking

That may be an issue for the Idea exchange.  I could see where trying to power multiple devices from a single loop could require a higher compliance voltage.  

The distributed system you allude to does seem like an interesting challenge.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,112 Views)

Thanks Jeff!  Yes, a challenge would be one way to describe it.  I think its about to get a push on it from a lot of us around about August time 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,109 Views)