From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9237 - how does the gain amplifier work?

Hi

I have a few questions regarding the internal function of the NI 9237 strain gauge input module for CompactDAQ.

I understand that this module contains a programmable gain amplifier, which adapts the input signal with the purpose of using as big span as possible of the internal A/D converter.

I cannot find detailed information about this though. I guess that the amplification is calculated from the signal input range values set in NI MAX. Is that correct?

Is the amplification of the gain amplifier set in just a few steps (1, 2, 5 etc)? How do I know its setting?

And most important; how do I know what a full scale analog input to the module will actually read on the A/D converter?

The reason I'm interested in this is that I am trying to figure out the total accuracy of my application. I understand that the offset error is relative to the range, which is 25mV/V. I guess that is the range of the A/D converter. This accuracy can only be achieved if the gain amplifier can be set so that full scale output from my load cell gives 25 mV/V. If the gain can only be programmed in steps (1, 2, 5) etc, this is not possible. I then need to know what gain is actually set to be able to calculate the real offset error of the entire measurement chain.

There is a possibility I am getting this fundamentally wrong, but I need to figure this out.

ni.PNG

ni1.PNG

Linus Nilsson
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(768 Views)