From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9205 +10V reference or pull up

Solved!
Go to solution

I am monitoring a number of channels in non-differential mode on a 9205. One channel I want to use to monitor an external switch. If under 1V I do one thing, if over 1V I do another. This is hooked to a SPDT switch. The signal pin I monitor is on the common pin. I wire another pin to COM on the 9205 to pull the signal down when the switch is in one state.

How can I get the signal to pull up above 1V when the switch is in the other state?

Possibilities:

1) Wire the other switch pole to a positive reference out from the 9205. But it does not seem to have this.

2) The 9205 has an internal pull up so when not switched to COM it will float high. But that does not seem to be what happens. The pin seems to float.

3) Provide my own pull up resistor to my own voltage source. But I would really like to not hook up more resistors. Just adds more wires to go wrong. I also need to make sure my signal does not exceed +10V and what I have is a +15V source.

4) Wire the other switch pole to DO0 and drive it high in software. A bit ugly and adds some more software, but a doable solution.

Ideally #1 would be my preferred solution but there does not seem to be a nice +10V reference voltage available (or anything above 1V) like there is a COM (0V) available for this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,501 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cmz

Hey cmz,

You won't be able to apply a voltage using the 9205 since it is analog input only. I'm a little confused on your set up, Could you provide a simply schematic showing what exactly you are trying to do? Seems like option 3 might be the best to be honest.

CH
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/en-us/support.html
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,460 Views)

I did #3.

No reference V+ it seems on the 9205 and the documentation says DO0 cannot be programmed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,457 Views)