Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-6323 & NI-1433 PCIe cards cause PC to not post when inserted in x16 PCIe slot

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm testing out a new PC (Windows 10 64-bit, ITOX SD330-H110 industrial motherboard with 2 PCI, 1 PCIe x4, 1 PCIe x16 slots, using integrated graphics, uses Intel H110 chipset with Skylake processor) that will use 2 National instruments cards.  One is a PCIe NI-6323 Analog I/O card and the other is a NI PCIe-1433 Frame grabber.  If I plug a single card (either one) into the PCIe x4 slot, everything is fine.  If I plug a single card (either one, again) into the PCIe x16 slot, the system power comes on but it fails to post (USB peripherals not powered, video display does not show, just the fans and PC lights come on).

If I plug in a National instruments PCIe GPIB card into the x16 slot, the PC boots up (with whatever other card in the x4 slot).  If I plug in a PCIe 8-port serial card into the x16 slot (with whatever other card is in the x4 slot) the PC also boots up.  It's just this x16/NI 1433 or 6323 card combination that is the problem.

After talking with the motherboard vendor, they say that the x16 slot is not reserved for a graphics card so any compatible PCIe card should be able to work in there and have the PC boot up.

Any ideas on what may be the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,781 Views)

Hi Mlittau,

This is very odd behavior, and is likely something that will take more in-depth troubleshooting than the forums are well-suited for. Have you already contacted NI's customer support line? If you haven't, that would be your best next step.

You can reach NI at 866-275-6964 or by going to ni.com/support, and one of our engineers will work with you to isolate what may be causing this behavior.

Kathryn K.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
http://ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,746 Views)

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks, I will contact support.  For future posterity, I also tried plugging the NI 6323 Analog I/O card into various slots of a Dell OptiPlex 5040 system (Q170 motherboard, PCI x1, PCI x16 (blue connector), PCI, PCI x16 (black connector).  It has the same behavior when plugged into the PCI x16 (blue connector) - the PC fan comes on and there's lights on the motherboard, but no video or USB.  All of the other PCIe slots work fine.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,743 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mlittau

I was in contact with NI technical support, but they were unfortunately unable to resolve the issue.  Further motherboard testing saw a Kaby Lake motherboard work well, 2 different Haswell motherboards work well, and an Ivy Bridge motherboard work well.  Only the 2 Sky Lake motherboards had this issue.  My solution was to just abandon the Sky Lake motherboard and stick with an industrial Haswell motherboard (which I was able to test ahead of time).  

Message 4 of 4
(2,703 Views)