cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PCI-6250 does not see my SCXI box

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am installing a station using a PCI-6250 connected to a SCXI chassis via the 68 pin cable.  We have a couple of these configurations, so I was given some setup disk which have our setup already done.  However, I did have to install some software they neglected to give me.  I got the latest driver for these from NI.   Well, running max, my tree is different from a previous setup.  And, mine does not communicate with the SCXI.  My cards are "x"ed out.  The "Chassis Communicator" in the SCXI Chassis Configuration is greyed out (no options).  I have checked the cabling and disconnected all the blocks to the cards.

Here is my tree. 

NOTE: Mine also does not have the "NI-DAQmx Devices" under the "Devices and Interfaces" section, only in the software section.  The other setups do have this listed.  I do not know how to get "NI-DAQmx Devices" shown.

Any help would be appreciated.

My System

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,393 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mz6yx6

Hi mz6yx6,

First of all, don't worry about trying to get "NI-DAQmx Devices" to appear. MAX 4.6, which was first included with NI-DAQmx 9.0, has a revised UI layout that displays devices inside "Devices and Interfaces" instead of displaying them in sub-folders such as "NI-DAQmx Devices".

Also, thank you for posting a MAX report of the system configuration. The report shows that the SCXI chassis and modules are configured as simulated devices, which I think is the problem. DAQmx (>=8.7) does not support configurations where a simulated SCXI chassis and modules are connected to a real communicating DAQ device. Since your system has no simulated DAQ devices (other than the SCXI chassis and modules), the "Chassis Communicator" menu has no options to display.

To resolve this, delete the SCXI chassis in MAX and create a real (non-simulated) one. How to do this depends on whether you're manually configuring the chassis or you're importing a configuration from a .nce, .ini, or .txt file:

• Manual: right-click "Devices and Interfaces", then select "Create New...". In the "Create New ..." window that pops up, open up the "NI-DAQmx SCXI Chassis" sub-tree and select the chassis type from there. Don't select "Simulated NI-DAQmx Device or Modular Instrument". The modules should be auto-detected, but you will have to manually reconfigure the accessories.
  • Import from a .nce, .ini, or .txt file: in the "Configuration Import Wizard" dialog, make sure that the "Warnings and conflicts" column displays "XYZ will be replaced" or "Create device", and does not display "Create simulated device".
  • If the setup disk is doing the SCXI configuration programmatically or from an application installer, then more information about what's on the setup disk would be helpful.

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
Message 2 of 3
(3,379 Views)

Thank You very much!!!  I have already test one output on a card, so it looks like everything is OK.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,371 Views)