From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple DAQ cards sync hardware setup for PXI

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently went through the process of getting multiple DAQ PCI cards in a computer and synchronizing them together using a RTSI cable.  I just purchased two similar cards in PXI.  In the Measurement and Automation software I had to manually add a RTSI cable to the DAQmx devices and link the cable with the PCI cards.  I just want to make sure that I don't have to do the same with the PXI cards because there is no RTSI cable necessary for the PXI.

Thanks for any assistance,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,111 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author msouza

The PXI chassis has clock and trigger lines in the backplane so that you don't need the RTSI cable.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(3,109 Views)

Thanks!  I thought so, but wanted to make sure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,099 Views)

I am curious to know if there is something special I need to do so that the cards all acquire data "at a similar instant of time"? I get that they won't be exactly at the same time, but they should be close. For ease of conversation, I have two card types, a PXIe-4302 and a PXIe-4357. I don't have my PXI hardware yet and am writing my code with simulated modules in MAX. So far, the timing for a 1 SPS acquisition across two tasks has not been very deterministic.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,387 Views)

There are multiple ways to synchronize instruments in the PXI chassis like sharing the sampling clock, sending triggers etc.,

The method to synchronize is dependent on the family of instrument you're synchronizing and timing requirements.

With simulated instruments, you cannot validate the hardware synchronization features of the instruments.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 5 of 5
(1,375 Views)