Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modern PCs cannot support 68-pin VHDCI cables

Hello,

We have a piece of test equipment built in 2010 where the PC running it no longer works. We are unable to find a PC that will accept a VHDCI board.

The old computer was running Windows XP which is also obsolete.

The NI card in the machine is an SCC-68 with a single SCC-AI02 module in it. (see attached photos)

What is the best way to upgrade/modernize the system to a USB connection?

Thank you

Donald Casteel

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,051 Views)

... two more pictures that may help

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,048 Views)

What is the card in your old Win XP computer that you are plugging the VHDCI cable into?

I would assume it is a PCI based NI DAQ card.  Do you have a model number for that?

Message 3 of 7
(2,046 Views)

Thank you for your quick response RavensFan!

Unfortunately I can't answer your question.

The PC was mistakenly scrapped with the card and software still in it. This was before my involvement and sadly the reason I've been asked to help.

While I'm still trying to figure out what happened, it doesn't help because it's gone, and I'm still tasked with getting it back up and running.

I can tell you the PC was running Windows XP if that helps.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Don

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,024 Views)

That was unfortunate.  That could have been a couple thousand dollars thrown away!

Contact your local NI sales person.  Describe what the requirements of the application are.  Number of channels, type of channels.  Acquisition speed.  That person can help you determine the correct card to install in your new PC.  Hopefully the new PC has a PCI slot in it.  That is what you would need to be able to use the SCC terminal block and signal conditioning module you have now.

Depending on your requirements, you might be able to get a USB based NI data acquisition device.  That might be a less expensive solution.  I believe those little black SCC modules are now obsolete, so you might want to consider starting with fresh DAQ hardware anyway.

Message 5 of 7
(2,019 Views)

Our controls engineer has suggested the possible use of a "Single Slot Chassis" which would allow a USB connection.

The problem being I can't find any information that the SCC-AI02 186623F-02 module is compatible with a current single slot chassis? This module is currently attached to an SCC-68 terminal block backplate

Any insight would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,010 Views)

The SCC-AIo2 is obsolete.  You might as well throw it away.

A single lot chassis means something like a cDAQ-9171  Datasheet & Specifications with a C-series module in it.

As I said before, determine what your signal requirements are and call your local NI sales representative.

If you want to continue to use the SCC-68 with the AI02, then still call the local NI sales office and they can help you select a PCI card to work with it.

I'd go the cDAQ route.  You can more easily move it to other PC's.  And you can get them as ethernet and wi-fi versions as well.

But it all depends on your requirements.

Message 7 of 7
(1,998 Views)