Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring Pressure with a 4-20mA pendotech pressure sensor

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am trying to measure pressure with a pendotech pressure sensor the catalog says that it outputs a 4-20mA signal. What cassette would I need to read this signal and how do I wire it correctly? It has 4 pins, 2 for signal and 2 for excitation. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a NI-cDAQ-9184 with NI 9201, 9217, and 9263 but am willing to purchase a better suited cassette. 

https://www.coleparmer.com/i/pendotech-preps-n-000-pressuremat-single-use-pressure-sensor-ps-luer-fi...

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,139 Views)

You will want to get a NI-9203 or NI-9208.  For the price difference, I would go with the 9208.  These are modules specifically made for measuring current from -20mA to +20mA.  Things will get a lot simpler for you from there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,123 Views)

How would I wire the sensor in? It has four pins two for signal and two for excitation. I am fairly new to this.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,110 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nordec

Use a separate power supply for the excitation.  You can wire that supply to the 9208 via the Vsup and COM lines.  Then use another set of the Vsup and COM lines as well as one of the AI lines to the sensor.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(2,104 Views)