cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring 4-20 mA signal from a Pressure Sensor using NI 9219 DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ,

I have a Pressure sensor ( Omega PX119 150GI) which outputs current in the Range of 4-20 mA and a measuring range of 0-150 psi. I also have a Compact DAQ with a USB serial port and an NI 9219 Universal DAQ. Could someone please let me know how to make the connections and measure the pressure using LabVIEW?  I am fairly new to this topic and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in Advance,

Cheers,

Sid

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(304 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SidBeckham07

I am just consolidating the information from multiples sources

1. NI 9219 Getting started guide - https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374473f.pdf
  2. Omega PX119 sensor - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2920183.pdf

Your sensor specifies the pinout as highlighted below,

santo_13_0-1617593298030.png

For each channel in NI 9129 DAQ, below is the pinout to connect a sensor in the current mode.

santo_13_1-1617593307415.png

With these two pieces of information, you have to connect Sensor+ to HI and Sensor- to LO.

In order to use LabVIEW to collect data, use the below-highlighted example, (navigate to Help->Find Examples...)

santo_13_2-1617593521217.png

-Santhosh
Semiconductor Validation & Production Test
Soliton Technologies
Message 2 of 5
(235 Views)

Hi Santosh,

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I had a few doubts regarding configuring the sensor in LabVIEW.:

- When I choose current continuous sampling, How do I convert that signal into Pressure?

- When I choose a Pressure VI example, It asks for electrical units in volts. What should I give the values as since my sensor outputs current.

I have attached picture for both cases. Could you please help me out with this issue.

Thank you so much in advance,

Regards,

Sid

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(213 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Thank you so much for your help. I configured the sensors to work using NI 9219 DAQ.

Regards,

Sid

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(127 Views)

Hi Sid,

Did your pressure sensor require a voltage supply? 

I have a Hydrotechnik Pressure Sensor which requires a supply of 12-32VDC and gives an output of 0-10V. The supply is higher than the internal excitation voltage that the NI 9219 is capable of (and this is the only module I have easy access to) so I need an external power source.

I've seen on many forum posts that the NI 9219 can't handle external voltage excitation but is this just for bridge circuits? Since I just want to measure voltage do you know if my proposed setup work? I don't want to damage the hardware.

I'm new to this area so any help would be much appreciated!

Emily

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5 Views)