Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure with custom scale seems clipped

Hi all, I am using CVI 8.5 and DAQmx to read a voltage signal with a 6221 (37 pin). Since actual voltage spans up to 30V I have added a voltage divider before DAQ board so that output signal is 1/3 of actual signal. So far so good: I can read the input signal both with Max and my program without problems.

I then added a custom scale to multiply reading by 3, so that I can directly read in user units: at this point, the read value is clipped to 15.9 V for every voltage level higher than this; reading lower voltages gives correct results in user units. If I remove the custom scale I can read the full input voltage (0÷10V). What can be happening?

Instruction to set the custom scale

DAQmxCreateLinScale ("3x", 3.0, 0.0, DAQmx_Val_Volts, "Volts");

Instructions to prepare measurement:

DAQmxCreateTask ("", &misH);
    DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan (misH, channel, "", DAQmx_Val_Cfg_Default, -0.5, 10.0, DAQmx_Val_FromCustomScale, "3x");
    DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming (misH, "", RATE, DAQmx_Val_Rising, DAQmx_Val_ContSamps, RATE / 10);
    DAQmxRegisterEveryNSamplesEvent (misH, DAQmx_Val_Acquired_Into_Buffer, RATE / 10, 0, MisNI, NULL);
    DAQmxSetReadAttribute (misH, DAQmx_Read_OverWrite, DAQmx_Val_OverwriteUnreadSamps);
    DAQmxStartTask (misH);

Read voltage:

DAQmxReadAnalogF64 (misH, RATE / 10, 1.0, DAQmx_Val_GroupByChannel, m, RATE / 10, &sRead, 0);

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,189 Views)

Hi Roberto,

when you use a custom scale, you have to set the range of the acquisition (min val and max val in DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan) in scaled units, so your max val should be 30 V.

Serena

Message 2 of 5
(3,173 Views)

Thanks for the info. I remember to have read something in this line in the past but is hasn't occurred to me when coding. Smiley Sad

I will check this solution when going to startup the equipment in my customer's plant in the next weeks.

Grazie.

(3,164 Views)

Hi Serena,

I understand that I must match channel configuration with actual signal limits, so I will update the code to use 30V, but I don't understand why measure reading was clipped in 15.9V and not in 10V.

Second question: could this error in configuration lead to damage in the board? I suppose the answer is no and the limits set in DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan are only used for internal configuration and not as a hardware setup, but I would like to be assured about it.

(3,142 Views)

Hi Roberto,

The input limits specified by DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan are used to control the board's programmable gain amplifier, which is why you saw clipping.

Your call to DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan specifies input limits of [-0.5 "3x Volts" ... 10 "3x Volts"], which your "3x" custom scale converts to [-0.1667 V ... 3.333 V]. The NI 6221 has a programmable gain amplifier that is designed to support input ranges of [-10 V ... 10 V], [-5 V ... 5 V], [-1 V ... 1 V], and [-0.2 V ... 0.2 V]. DAQmx chooses the smallest range that can acquire a [-0.1667 V ... 3.333 V] signal without clipping, which is [-5 V ... 5 V]. Converting [-5 V ... 5 V] back to units of "3x Volts" gives you an input range of [-15 "3x Volts" ... 15 "3x Volts"], so you might reasonably expect the signal to clip at 15 V.

However, there is an additional complication: the input ranges on M Series devices are slightly wider to accomodate software calibration. Otherwise, a device's gain error might reduce the effective input range, and offset error would shift the ends of the effective input range. So the [-5 V ... 5 V] range on your NI 6221 might be more like [-5.2 V ... 5.3 V]. This is why the reading clipped at 15.9 V instead of 15 V.

As for your second question, connecting a 10 V signal to the NI 6221 when it is using a smaller input range will not damage the board. 

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
Message 5 of 5
(3,126 Views)