From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum frequency from digital outputs

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am using a NI USB 6218 BNC device. I'm trying to toggle the digital IOs hoping to get a frequency of ~1 MHz. However I'm unable to get more than 600 Hz. Is this expected? Is there a way to get a faster frequency? I tried programming in LabVIEW as well as C++(both in Windows 8), but it did not really help.

My goal is to use three outputs as controlled clocks, which should run on demand with a specified number of cycles and, with a phase shift. Is there a way to achieve it with this device?

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,758 Views)
There is no such device as USB 6812.

For whatever device you actually have, look at the specs. If it's hardware timed, the rate would require you to define multiple samples and in general, not 1Samp mode.
Message 2 of 4
(3,752 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. My bad, I meant USB 6218. Is it possible to define multiple samples for this device? When I tried to do that, I got an error message of -200077. And I couldnt find the timing specifications for the digital output.

Thanks,

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,748 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ravikanthsomsolencsu
The specs say it is software timed. You can only write one sample at a time. MAX rate is dependent on the os bit typically maxes out at around 1kHz. You do have two counters but you'll need different hardware to output three clocks.
Message 4 of 4
(3,742 Views)