From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Frequency Signal for NI USB-6259

Hello, I have a question about the maximum output frequency from a USB-6259 DAQ module. I am using it to generate a sinusoidal AC voltage signal from one of the analog outputs and then measure this signal from one of the analog inputs. Ideally, I would like like to generate a signal in the MHz range, but does it go that high? The specifications say that this device has a maximum sampling rate of 1.25 MS/s on a single channel. Does this imply that for a 1 MHz signal, I would only be able to generate approximately 1 sample per period, and hence not a 1 MHz sinusoidal wave?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,418 Views)

For the Analog Output, you maximum sample frequency is 2.86MS/s.  A general rule of thumb to have a good representation of your sine wave is a sample rate of at least 10x the signal frequency.  So with the 2.86MS/s, you would probably want to do no more than a 286kHz signal.  If you want to go by the Analog Input, then use the 1MS/s, giving you an upper signal frequency of 100kHz.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,375 Views)