From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest - cost microphones application

Have to acquire analog input from 16 microphones. The sound frequencies that I expect are between 20 - 20000 Hz , the range of the output voltage of the microphones is estimated 0.1-1000 mV. Need an accuracy of 20% or better. The time delay between any of the microphones must not exceed 50 % of the largest frequency of interest.
NEED THE "LOWEST-COST" PC-BASED SOLUTION FOR LABVIEW 7.1 SOFTWARE

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,438 Views)
Hello Koky,

I think the best solution for you might be to go with several M series boards. If the largest frequency you will measure is 20KHz, then according to the Nyquist theorem, you will need to sample at least twice that frequency (i.e. at least 40KS/s). However, this will not give you good shaping of the waveform. Morever, you have to multiply 40KS/s by 16 for your 16 microphones and we are now at 640 KS/s because the M series boards have to multiplex all 16 channels. You could go with the S series boards which do simultaneous sampling but they are more costly. The data sheet for any DAQ board will give you more information on sampling frequency, range, and interchannel delay so you can check and see which boards work best for you. I would recommend giving your technical representative a call at (888) 280-7645. They will be able to help you design a system and give you a price quote as well.

Take care,
E.Lee
Eric
DE For Life!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,413 Views)