From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Help! PCI 6723 output a wrong voltage

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a PCI-6723 card for analog output.And I set the output voltage to 1V with a 50Ω load, but the voltage of the load is just around 0.38V.I tried to increase the output voltage of the card to 10V, while the voltagte of the load was always 0.38V. I think it may because the current drive of the PCI-6723 is 5mA max. But I also used the PCI-6733,which also with a current drive 5mA, with 1V output voltage and 50Ω  load,and the voltage of the load was correct,1V. So ,I am wondering why? Can anubody give me some adviec?Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,626 Views)

0.38V/50 Ohm = 7.6mA.  Yeah, you are going over current.  You need to use an op-amp or some other buffer to increase the current capability.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,617 Views)

But the other important quetion is that why PCI-6733 output a correct voltage ,while its current drive is also 5mA?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,615 Views)

My guess is that you didn't really have a 50 Ohm load.  Or somebody was smart enough to put in a buffer.  But that card should not have been putting out 1V on a 50 Ohm load.  That would require 20mA.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,613 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author YoungHang

You are right !But not all! The load was actually 50Ω,because I used a 50Ω resistor as the load. But the output of PCI-6733 was actually wrong too. The 1V output of PCI-6733 was just a coincidence, if I set the voltage of other value ,then it will not work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,600 Views)

Another question,can you give me some advice about what kind of  op-amp I can use?Or , how to choose a correct op-amp?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,598 Views)

Which op amp you want depends on a lot of factors: skew rate, frequency response, max and min voltages, available supplies.  I am not an op-amp expert, but there are some guys on here that are excellent at signal conditioning.  I'll try to flag one to this thread.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,591 Views)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,588 Views)

crossrulz asked me to help with this thread.

The values you see with both devices are typical of the behavior of devices loaded beyond their maximum rated current. The current does not limit at exactly the rated value (1 mA or 5 mA). Usually the manufacturers build some margin into the devices so that they may actually work to 10% or 20% above the rated value. They just do not guarantee that they will work correctly above the rated value. Then, above the actual limit the current may increase slightly with voltage, possibly non-linearly. 

As crossrulz pointed out it is necessary to know the range of voltages and frequencies you want to drive. Is the load always a resistor or will there be significant reactance or non-linearity in the load?

Driving a 50 ohm load at 10 volts is not trivial. The current requirement is 0.2 amperes. Very few op amps can drive that much current. 

Give us some good specifications on your actual requirements and someone will probably be able to recommend something for you.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,578 Views)

The load is almost always a 50Ω resistor.

I want an unit-gain op-amp .And I just want to use the op-amp to improve the current drive of PCI-6723, from initially 5mA to at least 30mA.And the output voltage range is -6 t0 6V. And the settling time, the faster the better, but not very strict.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,565 Views)